1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aim Solo 2 short battery time?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by regularguy, Mar 7, 2019.

1. benya

benya Active Member

Did you happen to take any pics? Where did you connect the ground wire? It's so tiny! I looked for a ring terminal to connect to the battery but couldn't find one small enough gauge with big enough ring.

2. Thunderace

Thunderace Well-Known Member

I used my cigarette charger to hard wire mine to the bike's battery as well. I stripped both wires quite long and folded them back on themselves several times. I soldered the wires and then crimped them in ring terminals. Both leads are connected to the battery. Been working fine for over a year or so.

benya likes this.
  3. OutOfSpec

OutOfSpec eccentric thousandaire

sorry to revive an old thread, but after communicating with AIM about my quickly draining battery on a Solo 2 DL (running current firmware), I can add some info directly from AIM that may help whoever goes searching for this issue in the future.

From the AIM tech: the Solo 2 DL max draw is 650 mA, the battery is rated at 1500 mAh. So, a battery-only run-time of a little over 2 hours is to be expected. Sure enough, when comparing how quickly my unit dies when running battery-only, it's in line with this expected run time. Not really a problem for me if the unit will almost always powered from the bike via data cable, but still kinda disappointing performance. idk if battery size or power draw changes between the Solo 2 DL and regular Solo 2, but I can't imagine either is significantly different.

So there you have it. Maybe at one point in the past even shorter battery life was caused by firmware issues or a supplier lot of dud batteries, but even now, short battery life isn't a bug so much as a "feature"

4. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

I have Solo 2. This last weekend was my first full weekend of use. I had no idea the battery life was so short. It lasted all day Saturday, was a different track Sunday and got 3 sessions Sunday before it died. So 1.5 days of use. Now I now to charge it at end of day each day.

I also bought a GoPro mount for it. http://alexmartino.com/shop/solo2mount this was the best $28 dollars ever spent.

5. MattTries

MattTries Member

It's comforting to know that it's not just my few-month-old unit that's defective, and that ~2 hour battery life is all I should expect. If I'm using it, I just add plugging the Solo 2 in with my tire warmer ritual. What surprised me is how much battery the thing will lose while powered down overnight.