1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ahrma- jeff smith call to action

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by footwork, Aug 21, 2008.

1. footwork

footwork Honda Research Analyst

Attention vintage racers. Below is an email I have sent out to select AHRMA members. If you are an AHRMA member in favor of making a positive change
    in the organization please read below and respond to my email address- NOT this posting thank you for your time. I already have the support of many racers and hope to add to the list so we can make a bold statement to the satatus quo of AHRMA. respond to [email protected]

respond to [email protected]

Hello fellow AHRMA racers. I am calling on you to support me and our
    organization in doing the right thing. I am going to submit the below
    letter to AHRMA VV and would like to have as many racers behind it as
    possible. I am looking for an email response from each of you (RIGHT NOW IF POSSIBLE) saying you are either in or out so I may include or exclude your name from the "signed" portion of the below document. Please
    reply with your race number and how long you have been a member of AHRMA please.Thank You for your time and hopefully your support.
    Buff Harsh

respond to [email protected]

I (we) are calling for the immediate removal of Jeff smith from from his
    treasurer and board of directors positions with AHRMA. Smith must resign
    or be terminated. I (we) represent the heart and soul of the AHRMA
    membership. AHRMA'S problems are not the result of accident or
    misfortune. AHRMA'S problems are the direct result of Jeff Smith making
    the conscious decision to put personalities above principles. During
    Smith's tenure the members have been mislead.It was on Smith's watch
    that the AMA's bank accounts were looted. After resigning in disgrace
    from the AMA and AHRMA Smith reappears by secret vote. Smith's presence in AHRMA is a disgrace to the American motorcycle community. AMRMA must establish itself as a fair and responsible organization for which its members can be proud without Jeff Smith.

2. phantom 309

phantom 309 Well-Known Member

I hope I am #1 on the list too. thanks Buff. tim

3. charles

charles The Transporter

Most interesting.

:beer:

4. drgonzo

drgonzo Well-Known Member

I will be a member soon enough. Good job Buff, thanks for taking this on!

5. Stu Carter

Stu Carter Well-Known Member

I'm already on that list but it occurred to me that Jeff Smith might not even be listening to any of this because he's suffering from oxygen deprecation from having his............
    HEAD TOO FAR UP HIS ASS.

6. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

I should have posted this here instead of the other thread...:)

gents, just tell me to STFU if you need to...but I have a question.

How does he benefit from his actions?

Example: What would there be to gain for him personally, that made it worth raiding the "riders fund"...or any club money?

I guess I'm asking about his motives?.....and expected rewards / returns? What was the pot of gold?

Was he getting paid a big salary, and benefitted from it dragging on?

Just trying to understand things.

7. ChuckS

ChuckS Well-Known Member

8. WERA33

WERA33 Well-Known Member

who's??

9. footwork

footwork Honda Research Analyst

he likes being in control and able to manipulate things his way. He sways championships, race wins, has control in who gets fired, who can race... if you dont play his way it's the highway. He wasted over 800K and call it a success- the guy has no business being in charge of anything that has to do with AHRMA or their money. Yes.... ego.....

10. gofastpinhead

gofastpinhead Well-Known Member

Im going to be an AHRMA member in the next week. Put my name on the list if it helps the cause.

11. ezryder

ezryder New Member

Buff is spot on in his summary of Jeff Smith. Those of us that were around when all the s**t started understand just how much damage Smith has done to the reputation of AHRMA over the years.

Truth of the matter is, until we rid ourselves of Jeff Smith and his "cronies", nothing is going to change!

George Taylor
    2Old Racing
    AMA 250GP #42 (retired)
    AHRMA #637
    Yamaha TD3
    Yamaha TR3

12. kburns068

kburns068 Member

I'm in 100%

I'm really tired of this crap. All I ever wanted to do was support a good club and go racing. Thanks Buff for stepping up on this. You already have my private email, and I'll urge whoever will listen to follow through also.

And I want to know why anyone thinks they have the power to coerce the shutdown of the SaveAHRMA Forum. Oh wait, Bush still is in office; civil liberties and freedom of speech are only for the chosen ones.

13. charles

charles The Transporter

Just being the devil's advocate here, don't mind me...okay, so you give the collective boot to 'Jeff Smith and his cronies.' Then what? Who will arise from the ashes like the proverbial Phoenix to 'change' things which, as of yet, no one seems to specify. What, my moto-friends, are these things you'd like to see changed?

14. Stu Carter

When Jeff Smith is removed from the AHRMA Board and as the Treasurer, one more 'good ol' boy' will be laid to rest. This will help pave the way for a progressive thinking person to be elected that has the best interests of AHRMA at heart.

Buff has stepped up to help AHRMA become a more responsible member of the racing community by starting a petition to remove Jeff Smith.

Just to bring up some old dirty linen about Jeff Smith, AHRMA and WERA, it was several years ago that there were plans to do a joint vintage meet. Our man Jeff Smith put a stop to this and that was the end of that. And although I'm a bit vague on this, I'm sure that both the WERA and AHRMA members can help piece this old news back together again.

After all, wouldn't it be cool to have a joint vintage meet?

15. Stu Carter

Here's a copy of a thread I made on the 'saveahrma' thread. I think its more relavent here than on that thread. So here you are:

The AHRMA administration is all about censureship. They took the forum that was attached to thier website down because they felt it was too controversial and posed a legal threat. The real reason was that it offered an alternative voice of the members against the poor direction of the old guard board members led by Jeff Smith (the currently disgraced former AMA treasurer who was dismissed by the AMA board for financial improprieties) None the less, AHRMA spent $877,000 of its members money to fight a frivolous lawsuit and ravaged the riders benevolent fund to finance the suit. Now AHRMA has announced that it is cutting back on its newsletter and limiting it to only direct pertinent material since controlversial letters were appearing in the newsletter that identified the Treasurer as a suspected crook, orchestrator of the misspent use of funds that led to its bankruptcy and current bad seed ex AMA Treasurer. Suddenly there is no format to air grievences with their magazine and .............mysteriously, the SaveAHRMA.org forum is disbanded. This is the 2nd BBS forum connected to AHRMA that has now been shutdown. One only has to review all the suspected misdeeds of the past to wonder if Jeff Smith, the scourge of the AMA and AHRMA has his hand in this too. Ultimately, Jeff Smith has everything to lose if there is a forum that focuses on his misdeeds. As in the past, an AHRMA focused forum would expose his poor hemsmanship at AHRMA that led the organization into bankrupcy, his affiliation as an assistant treasurer at the AMA where he rubber stamped over $100,000 in false expense reports that led to his forced resignation, his ravaging of all the charitable contributions of AHRMA members to the rider's Benevolent Fund to support his ill concieved, frivolous lawsuit, his questionablly cozy relationship with the lawyers that defended AHRMA in his suits, and on and on. Sadly, Jeff Smith is a modern day Stalin that is trying to crush any form of dissent. AHRMA and vintage racing need better

16. kburns068

kburns068 Member

Well, let's talk about registration fees to begin with. Take Grattan as an example. Now, I don't have any hard facts here, but I think logic can get me close. My understanding is the cost to rent Grattan is around $4,500, and let's just say that's per day. So a Sat-Sun rental is about $9,000. And let's say 100 racers show up and race only two events each day (I've been told the average is closer to 3 events/rider/day, but the numbers sound too outrageous for even me to believe.). 100 racers X $280 registration = $28,000 - $9,000 rental = $19,000 for "other expenses."

The "dirt" guys are paying a max $40 entry fee. Does this seem fair?

17. charles

charles The Transporter

Stu, we actually had a 'joint event' at Barber, thanks to Jim Hinshaw's
    'Fast from the Past' (.com)...it went off rather nicely and actually didn't
    need any direct input from AHRMA officialdom.

I'm certainly not against reform in AHRMA, but one must think ahead if one
    wants to change things: what things, specifically?

18. ringdingding

ringdingding TWO-STROKE MILITIA

Buff, my computer and/or the operator wont or dont know how to send anything thru that e-mail, I would be proud to be part of this. If possible, add me too, #345, five years as a member, Richard Lucas. Once VV put me down as Raymond Lucas, add him too.....second thought better not.

19. ringdingding

ringdingding TWO-STROKE MILITIA

Jeff Smith sounds like one them liberal democrats, commy.

20. VintageRacerRoy

VintageRacerRoy Well-Known Member

I have been a member of AHRMA for about two years. This is the first public comment on the issue before us. I was not around for the start of hostilities, so I cannot comment on those events. I do not know Jeff Smith and I do not know first hand what he has or has not done in the past. Now to the present. I do know that Jeff Smith is a controversial person. The controversy that surrounds Jeff Smith also surrounds AHRMA. The one and only goal that AHRMA should have as an organization is the promotion of racing old bikes. If any of us were as controversial as Jeff Smith in our personal jobs or other representations, we would be quickly removed from those representations. It does not matter or do I care if Jeff Smith is innocent or guilty of the accusations written here or anywhere. His effect on the organization cannot adavance what should be AHRMA's only goal, the promotion of racing old bikes.

Roy Chapman
    AHRMA #778