1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aftermarket 8 lug truck wheels

Discussion in 'General' started by masshole, Mar 28, 2016.

1. [​IMG]

2. Skter505

Skter505 Well-Known Member

It's all a matter of taste. The ones you posted earlier :Puke: I'll stick with my 17's thank you.

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

20's are about the max unless you're going to something larger than a 35" tire. I wouldn't do 20's on anything less than 31-32's or the metric equivalent.

4. Gecko

Gecko Well-Known Member

I'm with Chaotic on this one. I've got 20's (XD Diesel) with 35's on my X and it rides very well:

[​IMG]

masshole likes this.
  5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The stock rims on our 1500 Ram are 20's.

6. Skter505

7. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Yea I wonder that also because the clamping of the lug nuts is what is suppose to hold it. Always just assumed it was to locate the wheel on the direct center of the wheel but who knows. I give it some validity but I don't know how much. Then again, real trucks are all hub centric, im talking class 6+. I've ran cars without the centering rings with no consequences, but a truck I'd put a little more thought into it because there must be a reason. I think its more of a safety net because there is clearance in there anyway, albeit only a few thousandths so the wheel can come off. You know the woes of vehicles that haven't had tire rotated in 20k miles when you cant even beat the bastards off with a sledge hammer.

8. masshole

masshole sixoneseven

The oems on it now are 20"s, my first thought was maybe if I stayed with the same size I can reuse my stock tires with only 4k miles on them.

I have the exact same set like these:

[​IMG]

I find them too chromy and shiny. My wife suggested that I just powder coat them in black or grey but I think I can find some nicer looking aftermarket ones.

9. BigBird

BigBird blah

Your wife sounds pretty smart. I would powder coat it and keep the strength of the OEM wheels, even though they are heavy.

10. MotoGP69

MotoGP69 Well-Known Member

Very nice. Did you just level the front? Are those 35s? AEV has done a couple of Rams with mild 3" lifts and 40s that look killer.

11. Skter505

37's no lift. Slight trim of the plastic fender liner.

12. BigBird

BigBird blah

Besides the grocery store and movies... Do you plan to use the truck for like truck things?

13. Wingnut

Wingnut Well-Known Member

2014 Diesel 2500 SRW Longbed here.

I was looking at Method Race wheels in all Black powder coated.

Attached Files:

masshole likes this.
  14. masshole

masshole sixoneseven

Like towing big trailers? Yup.

15. Wingnut

Wingnut Well-Known Member

I really like the look of this truck,, this shop is across town from me. SDHQoffroad.com

Attached Files:

16. Skter505

I was debating between the methods and the AEV's. AEV won out mainly due to offset, I didn't want them to stick out too far. Offset on the AEV is 27mm I believe the methods are 18mm for the 18" and 0 for the 17" I wanted 17's and that would have them stick out over an inch farther than what they are now. I may do King remote reservoir shocks and a small 2-3" lift up front but it's high enough as is and the ride is good on and off-road and I have other toys for the desert. It also does truck like things, tows a 35' 5th wheel to the track and desert. Also the toyo R/T's ride great and quiet, much better than other aggressive tread tires.

17. Aberk

Aberk Well-Known Member

Plastidip. You can test a few colors to see what you like and then get them powder coated if you really want to go that route. Or take the dip off and sell them.

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I think those would look great in gunmetal.

BigBird likes this.
  19. ftfy

:D