1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Affirmation...

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by (diet)DrThunder, Jun 4, 2009.

1. (diet)DrThunder

(diet)DrThunder Why so serious, son?

2. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Yes, there are loonies everywhere.

3. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

I would hardly call the guy a looney based on that brief article. Sounds like a guy that's using his church at a place for gun enthusiasts to meet. Doesn't appear to be making a real "Jesus" connection.

Then again, I could be wrong and it does seem like a silly thing to do even though the guns are required to be unloaded. Still pushes the poor taste limit for me and very well could be over the looney limit. :D

Makes me think of that show on the religious channel where the body builders would preach and lift weights and karate chop shit. I don't remember the name of the show... "Crushing Shit for Jesus" or something like that. :p

4. Spyderchick

Spyderchick Leather Goddess

That right there was totally hilarious. There should be a real show like that! :crackup:

And the church should watch out, because if the IRS thinks that they are promoting a political agenda, the could lose their tax exempt status. (Like churches never promote politcal agenda) :rolleyes: :D

5. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

It is/was and actual show. I actually said that first quote to someone in a discussion where I was trying to remember the name of the show. The one guy literally shot soda out of both nostrils. That's when I realized how painful it was to have acid shooting out of your nose. Poor guy was in major pain. We all laughed our asses off at that one. :D

Very good point on the church and politics. That has to be pushing some boundaries of tax free status.

6. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

I don't see them rushing to pull the Rev Wright's tax-free status.
    The Constitution in no way bars churches from engaging in political discussion. It bars the Government from favoring a particular religion.

7. Spyderchick

Not the constitution, but the IRS code prevents them from endorsing political policy and candidates. They can lose their tax exempt status.

8. R Acree

R Acree Banned

If that were enforced there are churches on both ends of the political spectrum that would be in heap big mess.

9. In Your Corner

Not exactly, it curtails the amount and duration of political activity they can engage in, but does not prohibit it. The rules are also open to great interpretation. IRS publication

10. Flex Axlerod

Flex Axlerod Banned

this is the stupid idea of some attention whore. It serves neither God nor the protection of Second Amendment rights. I am so sick of the loonies diluting the message with stunts and stupid ideas.

11. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Well stated sir.

12. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

At least its not illegal there, like it is here. wtf.

13. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

How exactly is he pushing God in this? According to the article they are just using the church as a gathering place. They are going to sing patriotic music and have speakers speaking about guns and related topics. Maybe I'm missing something but I don't see any connection to religion other than it being at a church and the article calls it a "service". The Pastor's quote is that it's to "responsible gun ownership and Second Amendment rights." How does it show that it's doing anything other than that?

Don't let Dr. Dave's thread title lead you into something that isn't there. ;)

Last edited: Jun 4, 2009
  14. Spyderchick

Page 6, paragraph 2.
    Ever been a part of a charitable organization (501(3)(c) )? I've been on a number of boards. The lawyers strongly advise against any appearance of political influence.

15. Spyderchick

Wouldn't pushing God be bad? Especially if a party foul was committed by spilled beer at Bingo Night!

16. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

What is illegal?

17. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

Not sure what you are asking but nowhere in that article does it say they are pushing God.

Where's the party foul?

18. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

I think I have experience extremes at both ends.

Black Pentecostal - born again BS, now I am save and Democratic Support speech.

Spanish Roman Catholic - you are going to hell; and so is Castro.

Easy to summize, plans are not neither will be visited in the near term.:D

19. In Your Corner

I'm actually a VP and member of the Board of Directors for one.

20. jschmidt

jschmidt Well-Known Member

There is a lot of confusion about nonprofit tax exempt status here. As was stated, churches are only limited politically by their choice to apply for 501(c)(3) tax exempt status. It requires:
    1. a limited amount of the budget be devoted to lobbying of elected officials.
    2. the exempt entity not endorse or promote any candidate or political party.

That's the very simple version.

Nonprofits are not prohibited from offering opinions on any subject. Smaller nonprofits and those without an educational purpose often err on the side of caution and ask board members to refrain from endorsing political positions. But in practice, these nonprofits can get away with almost anything due to lax enforcement. This is particularly true of churches.