1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aeroplane Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by BigBird, Sep 28, 2022.

1. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

He just flew up the entry port of a UFO and out the bridge? :D

2. StanTheMan

StanTheMan Well-Known Member

Passing the sound barrier.

Razr likes this.
  3. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

I'll probably get the details wrong, but it's a massive shock wave created by going supersonic.

The air can no longer get out of the way fast enough, it gets compressed to the point that it's visible.

BigBird and Razr like this.
  4. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

This place never fails to impress.

5. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

Something I’ve wondered is if you are super sonic can you hear yourself talking. I finally was able to ask a pilot that’s gone super sonic if he could hear himself talk and he said he could. The more you know I guess

6. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

At that speed we need to loose our luggage beforehand :D

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Your voice and your breath is all going supersonic with you.

8. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Is the poop trail behind you also supersonic? What speed are they flying to break the barrier? Is breaking the barrier on the ground the same speed? I thought I remember the Blue Flame breaking it and the speed was over 700mph.

9. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Actually, don't quote me this but I don't think you need to hear yourself through sounds coming out of your mouth. It's the vibrations in your skull that you hear as you produce the sound. Or something. Or maybe I totally imagined hearing something like that.

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Probably. I was actually thinking more of talking into a microphone or to other people.

11. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Well, the air inside the cabin is motionless relative to use so I'm guessing it doesn't matter how fast the airplane is traveling. And as I'm writing this, I'm remembering that there was something called the Concorde and I never heard any stories about delays in conversations between passengers, so we are even discussing this? :crackup:

BigBird likes this.
  12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Not a clue :crackup:

13. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Someone is producing a new version of the Concorde.

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  14. A. Barrister

A. Barrister Well-Known Member

Not necessarily. What you see is the moisture in the atmosphere. And you don't have to be supersonic for you to see this. Have you guys seen the pictures of the contrails of the air coming off the wing of a formula 1 car?

That picture above shows shock waves, but may or may not be supersonic.

15. A. Barrister

And yes, even if you are supersonic, you can hear yourself talk in the cockpit. All that air in the cockpit is going 0 mph relative to yourself.

16. MGM

MGM Well-Known Member

But, what if you’re going supersonic on a treadmill?

17. A. Barrister

You go back in time??? :eek:

18. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Contrails are a completely different phenomenon. They are a byproduct of lift (or downforce).

19. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Condensation trails?

20. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Yeah, they become visible when there is enough moisture in the air.