1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adding volume to a radiator via hoses and such.

Discussion in 'Tech' started by track wagon, Sep 21, 2018.

1. track wagon

track wagon MCAS MIRAMAR

I dont have enough space for a bigger radiator. So I was thinking of adding hoses to the system to get more volume. I have a sv650 with a sv1000 radiator on it right now. What have you guys done?

2. zrx12man

zrx12man Captain Amazing

Why? Volume added in hoses won't do a very good job of cooling the motor. You want radiator surface area. Added hot water volume will create a bigger heat sink and make the radiator less effective.

K51000, badmoon692008 and tony 340 like this.
  3. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

get a bigger (wider or thicker) radiator. :D

4. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Step 1: address why the motor is running hot. I've seen plenty of SVs make really good power and not need a bigger rad. You're either running lean or there is some other issue with your cooling system like the water pump, rad cap, beat up rad fins or something like that.

JJJerry, K51000, 5axis and 3 others like this.
  5. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

And check to make sure your radiator is not plugged with rubber marbles

6. track wagon

track wagon MCAS MIRAMAR

It isnt over heating. I just want it to run cooler. Also a thicker and or bigger radatior is not cheap. I got quoted 900 bucks for a custom job. I already have an sv1000 radatior on there. Mine runs about 7 degrees cooler than my buddies does with a stock radiator. Do adding more volume is a bad idea. Ok got it. Thanks for the input.

7. track wagon

track wagon MCAS MIRAMAR

Still runs at 190 or so on track. I want it fo run around 170 to 175.

8. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

Get a 170-175 thermostat. And why so cold? I believe that optimum race temps are around 190 (according to what I have read on race engines), with 210-220 not unheard of (bit not optimal). Here's a link from a quick search for optimum temp.

What problems occur when you run at 190?

badmoon692008 likes this.
  9. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

What bar cap are you using and what coolant or additives?

10. track wagon

track wagon MCAS MIRAMAR

It doesnt have a thermostat. It runs as cold as it can. 1.1.... a 1.4 wouldn't make a difference it doesnt over heat. I just want colder..... more power....

11. track wagon

track wagon MCAS MIRAMAR

No problems. Just wanted it around 170 to 175

12. Phl218

Phl218 .

I’ve seen replacement pipes with fins for where hoses are.

Snake oil IMHO

K51000 likes this.
  13. zrx12man

zrx12man Captain Amazing

Why do you think it will make more power? The motor is designed to run optimally at a given coolant temp range.

noles19 likes this.
  14. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

I hear going too low on temp causes excessive cylinder wear.

JJJerry, boxcrash and track wagon like this.
  15. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

Temperature of your engine doesn’t really affect the power made. Air temperature of the air being sucked into the intake influences that. A bike at speed won’t see any kind of significant temperature spike in the intake system due to the air flow over and around the engine having a limited cooling effect.

K51000 likes this.
  16. track wagon

track wagon MCAS MIRAMAR

Ok noted. I guess I always thought Heat was bad for power.

17. zrx12man

zrx12man Captain Amazing

5axis likes this.
  18. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

Running no thermostat can let the water flow too fast and not spend enough time in the radiator too cool.
    Try the 76.5C (170F) thermostat. It came in the older GSXRs and quite a few other models. Part number 17670-32c01, or you can take the stock 88C thermostat and cut the center out.

190-195 actually isn't that bad.

_indy and K51000 like this.
  19. zrx12man

zrx12man Captain Amazing

The laws of thermodynamics tell us that this is not true. A given volume of water transfers a given amount of heat across a temperature gradient over a given time period the same way whether it's shedding heat at the radiator or taking on heat at the cylinder head. It is possible for water pump vanes to interfere with cooling by cavitating if spun too quickly, but that is a completely separate issue.
    It was actually Kevin Cameron's magazine article on this exact topic some 25 years ago that got me interested in the technical side of motorcycling.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
  20. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

I don't give a fuck about the laws of thermodynamics. All I know is I had a bike running hotter with no thermostat compared to a bike with a gutted thermostat. My theory might be wrong but the end result was a cooler running bike.