1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adding an outlet for a generator in the garage...help needed

Discussion in 'General' started by Chris, Jul 22, 2015.

1. Chris

Chris Keepin' it old school

My wife and I bought our first home a few months ago and I'm trying to cross some things off of my to do list. I would like to install an outlet in my garage to run my generator into in case of a power outage, which I understand happens fairly regularly in my neighborhood.

This is the generator I have: https://www.ridgid.com/us/en/6800-watt-generator.

I imagine the best way to accomplish this would be to install a sub panel and run directly into that. But to be honest, I have little to no electrical experience outside of working on cars/bikes. Looking for some direction on doing the job myself, or if this is a job for a professional and back away slowly.

I believe the generator should be able to handle most of, if not all, of our major household items. In the past I have used it by wiring it through a box, directly into the panel. However, this was at our previous rental house where the panel was close to the front door and I was able to reach it with the 30 amp cord that came with the generator. Our home's panel is in the basement, so this is no longer an option.

Any advice on making this work would really help.

2. DaveB

DaveB Just Riding Around

You need to do it properly with a transfer switch so you don't back feed into the utility lines (or have the utility power backfeed into the generator when it comes back on) and potentially injure/kill a lineman working on stuff.

This is definitely a job for a professional in my opinion as if you do it improperly and something happens your homeowners insurance could deny your claim.

Here is a general overview of how it is done properly: http://powerequipment.honda.com/generators/connecting-a-generator-to-your-home

3. Chris

In the past, I simply switch the main off until I knew power was back on. Then I would unplug the generator, and turn the main back on.

Was I putting a lineman in danger doing that? This is a honest question, not being a smartass.

4. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

i had my electrician install a small box underneath my main panel, with the 4 prong round "lock" plug .. as you stated, i simply shut the main off when using the gen to not back feed power. (have a not in big letters on it saying "SWITCH OFF MAIN WHEN USING GEN POWER"

Last edited: Jul 22, 2015
  5. MotoGP69

MotoGP69 Well-Known Member

A guy I work with shuts off the main and plugs his generator into the dryer outlet. Not sure what the pitfalls are with this setup.

6. DaveB

DaveB Just Riding Around

While switching off the main breaker should prevent backfeed (assuming you have everything wired properly) you could still run into problems with your insurance company should something ever happen.

Note this line from the page I linked:
    A transfer switch is required by the National Electric Code for any connection of power to a home.

That gives them an out that you didn't follow code.

7. Riders Discount

Riders Discount 866-931-6644 ext 817

^^This

This is what I had installed and it works great.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Reliance...Manual-Transfer-Switch-Kit-31410CRK/202214969

Make sure you generator isn't neutral bond grounded (like some of the Honda's) or you will need a special transfer switch.

8. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

The cheapest way to do it "right" is a mechanical interlock.

http://www.interlockkit.com/images/introPgPic01.jpg

This doesnt allow for you to energize the generator breaker without the main breaker being off and vice versa.

the right "right" way is to remove all needed breakers into a seperate sub panel with an electronic interlock. Power goes out, system senses and automatically switches over. Power comes back and it automatically kicks the other way.

The reason they dont want you powering the entire panel is that the generator technically cannot supply the needed amperage that the house can potentially pull. This is done so joe blow who doesnt have a clue what an amp, watt or hertz is can marrily plug crap away without tripping the genny breaker.

A savvy homeowner know what the word "power management" means.

9. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

Does the transfer switch have to be installed next to the main panel? I have a sub panel in my garage and this would be the ideal place to install a transfer switch vs in the house next to the main panel.

10. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

For it to work correctly, the transfer switch or lockout would need to fully disconnect the shore (power co) power when the Generator is energizing the system. It is unlikely that you can achieve this from a sub-panel.

If you only want to run a few circuits, you can move them into a panel such as this, which has a mechanical lockout to prevent backfeeding the power co.

http://www.schneider-electric.us/en/product-range/7242-qo-generator-panels/

But this is not a job for DIY unless you have pretty extensive knowledge and experience with home wiring and the Electrical Code.

Separately, never run a generator inside a garage. You'll need to put it outside and run a cord to the connection point. CO poising is a real issue running a genny inside the garage for any length of time.

11. omatter34

omatter34 Well-Known Member

Tl;Dr? If you aren't a pro, hire one for this job :D

12. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

This.

Even a drafty uninsulated garage won't vent well enough to keep the CO from accumulating.

Had a power outage when the twerp was just a wee thing, pulled my suicide cord out to the garage and fed the panel off the gennie. About 20 minutes later the lights started dimming and surging. Go out to check the gennie and the eyes, they BURN! There wasn't any O2 left in there for combustion. :wow:

Before you all freak, detached garage. :moon:

13. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

Yeah mine is basically detached with a door on both ends so it would be easy to get good flow through it.

14. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

I have a 30A twistlock in my garage that has saved my ass on several occasions. 6 days straight last summer.

In my main panel there is a "blocker" thing over the top 2 breakers, top one you kill so power doesn't leave the house, 2nd one from top you activate so power goes from the outlet in the garage to the panel. There is a sliding safety cover on the breakers so you can't screw it up.

Runs both fridges and the heat/tv/lights.

I wouldn't try running a vacuum/drill/compressor/hairdryer anything with a big draw.

Never tried the AC, don't want to lug it out.

15. EngineNoO9

EngineNoO9 Well-Known Member

That sounds like the interlock thing someone posted earlier.

16. Aberk

Aberk Well-Known Member

I've been looking at 17-20kw generators for home back up. Does that still hold true or can I run my whole 200A panel off of 17-20kw? From my reading it says I can, but I'd rather get real world opinions.

17. Cam Morehead

Cam Morehead Husband, Dad, Racer

All houses in our county are required to have a disconnect outside. Most are built in to the meter base. If you have this, you can install up to 8 or so breakers in the disconnect. This has been code for over 10 years here. I have a 30 amp breaker and installed a pig tail that simply plugs in to my generator. I have about the same exact same genny you have, it will run everything except the heat pump/ac unit.

18. Chris

This is exactly the setup I am looking for. Did you do the install?

19. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

20kw at 240v is about 83amp, so technically it wont feed a 200 panel fully. But when have you maxed out your panel? Just be aware how fuel thirsty that genny is gonna be. The fuel adds up quick. My 5kw diesel genny burns 0.5 gal an hour. So in 12 hours thats 6 gal. One week is 42gal! Call it a 55 gal for one week. A 20ke will easily triple my consumption.

20. Aberk

Aberk Well-Known Member

That was one reason I was going to stay away from a fuel tank source and go with a natural gas. But if the gas lines break too, I'm SOL. So, I'm not sure which way to go.