1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ac-Heatpump help

Discussion in 'General' started by photoDude, Oct 17, 2009.

1. photoDude

photoDude Well-Known Member

Had a guy quote for a two ton Amana with the R410-A, Got home and had a Goodman two ton R-22 unit.
    I know they are the same company and I have two Goodman units already.
    But I thought the Amana was the step up. Am I wrong?

2. RacerRuss

RacerRuss Well-Known Member

R22 Unit

As of the end of this year, manufacturers will no longer be allowed to make units using R22. They will also not be allowed to produce new R22 for repairs after 2020. Here are the details http://www.epa.gov/ozone/title6/phaseout/22phaseout.html. Sounds like you may have gotten a left over clearance unit. Depending on what you paid, you may have gotten screwed.

I doubt any development has been done on R22 systems over the last several years as this has been coming for a while, so it is unlikely that you got the best efficiency unit. You should ensure that you got an equivilent SEER rating on the unit they installed vs the quote. If it is not the same (or you are a tree hugger), I would insist they come and replace it. Also, if you plan to be in the house for more than 10 years, it may be an issue for service in the future, better to get a more modern unit now.

BTW, I installed a new Goodman R410A SEER 15 heatpump last year and could not be happier. I replaced a propane combo unit that was a SEER 10 and it seems to have reduced my overall energy bill by about 25%.

3. eppy01f4i

eppy01f4i Well-Known Member

Like stated above if the SEER rating is the same no big deal its down the road that will cost you.

A year ago I could buy 30 pounds of R-22 for $100.00 and R-410 for $190.00 now its the other way around. R-22 prices are rising quickly and major repairs that require refrigerant remove/ replacement will cost double.

You should receive what you were quoted for. If you do call and demand them to install what was quoted make sure they change your line set (copper lines) and not just purge them with nitrogen.

PM me if you need any help. (10 years as a mechanical contractor)

4. chris218

chris218 Say when................

Also make sure your not paying for the quote on the Amana. The price difference is significant. To change from an R-22 system to R410-A, you have to also replace the thermal expansion valve (txv) on the indoor unit. The R410-A System is more efficient than most current R-22 systems. It is known throughout the industry that Goodman/Amana is the cheapest crap out there, FYI. They are not known for being the most efficient systems.

Good luck!! Chris, 20 years Exp.

5. chris218

make sure they change your line set (copper lines) and not just purge them with nitrogen.

Nah, as long as its sized properly you can flush the lineset with RX-11 and
    do your normal triple evacuation procedures.

6. eppy01f4i

eppy01f4i Well-Known Member

Correct but would you trust the same company that installed the wrong unit to purge with RX-11 ??

Chances are you will get nitrogen and nothing else. :up:

7. chris218

Your right! Usually contractors that sell Goodman/Amana aren't the best in the business. With my HVAC knowledge & wanting to give the customer a good product, I have never sold a goodman product.

8. RCM78

RCM78 Well-Known Member

20 years experience here as a commercial HVAC tech.

IMHO, if you switch from 22 to 410a everything must be replaced. Meaning, condensing unit, lineset, and evap coil including the metering device. If the flush isnt done properly it will cost you more in the long run.

I'm certainly not a fan of Goodman/Amana, but the latest products are a huge step forward from the junk that was flooding the market 4-5 years ago.

As for the OP, I would stop payment on the check and get what you paid for. 410a is a very good refrigerant and works better then 22 in high efficiency applications. More latent heat removal = a comfy house!!!
    The design changes necessary to build 12-18+ SEER units removed the ability of an R22 system to effectively remove humidity like it once did in < 12 seer equipment. Using 410a has brought alot of that latent heat removal capacity back.