1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Absurd Rivian Motors valuation

Discussion in 'General' started by This old Rz, Feb 3, 2022.

1. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

Sure, but then you're valuing it 8 years from now already. I dunno about at $60/share, but you would think over that time, traditionally, you might see like a 10x or 15x for a successful firm. This stock being $600-800 would be astronomically absurd. They'd have to reverse split or something. The market cap at $160 already was preposterous, at $600-800 it would rival the biggest companies in the entire world. So if you didn't get in pre-IPO and that valuation is already currently baked in or half baked in, then where's the return growth potential or incentive to hold?

I'd be happy to see another quality player just from the consumer stand point, but from the investor one, I dunno what the play is here.

2. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

America LOVES trucks. America is being force fed electric vehicles. Rivian actually looks and functions like a truck. Tesla truck is the dumbest effing thing I've ever seen. While I think the valuation is insane and not connected in any way to anything resembling logic. I do think they'll eventually have long term success in that market.

BigBird and Sweatypants like this.
  3. Montoya

Montoya Well-Known Member

Which is exactly why so many value/fundamental investors are just bewildered by these valuations.

TurboBlew and Sweatypants like this.
  4. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

My neighbor has a deposit on the Tesla truck. He has a S and X now so he drinks the Kool-aid. Anyway I asked him to get the Rivian instead, because I don’t want to look at that ugly Tesla every time I come home.

TurboBlew, The Todd, beac83 and 3 others like this.
  5. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

I thought you were moving to dfw.

6. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

Based on scenery looks he made it to Austin :)

7. Boman Forklift

We were considering a place, but by the time you buy something my wife liked and paid the high real estate taxes there, just didn’t make sense to me. If we could have found on the water out there with a boat dock at 5-600k I think we would have done it.

What you talking about? Back in 91 ish I bought a house in Lakeway about 1/4 mile from Lake Travis, a suburb of Austin, but then I didn’t get transferred.

8. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

Surrounded by electric cars (scenery). I think only CA has more electric cars than TX.

TurboBlew and Boman Forklift like this.
  9. Because the stock market is based on speculation and perceived future value, not that hard. New tech, what people see is the future. Now comparing it to GM and Ford is quite easy, they don’t have the assets they both have but they sure as hell don’t have the liability either. Union legacy costs alone kill the value of those companies. They both have to make massive investments in new tech while still paying on the capital costs of current tech. They still have the basic infrastructure all set up but the people who invest big money know what they have to pay just in labor to make a vehicle.
    GM, IMO has done a fantastic rebound under Mary to go back to an engineering based company and not a cost company. The new Yukon is one of the first vehicles to really have her stamp on it and it’s light years ahead of the previous generation. They truly knocked it out of the park with that one and I’ve never been a fan of those in the past.

10. auminer

Yeah, I remember you wanted

1. Close to Dallas
    2. On the water/own boat dock
    3. Cheap.

Well, you've heard the saw about Fast / Cheap / Reliable ... pick any two? Your metrics were more of a pick only one type deal. :D

BigBird likes this.
  11. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

I'm on my way to the Shelby dealership right now.

12. This old Rz

This old Rz Well-Known Member

This just doesn't sit well with me. Our entire economy seems totally artificial.
    Feels like a desperate attempt at all hands on deck to save a sinking ship.
    Let's be real for a second...Banks and the stock market in all "reality" should have and would have failed and vanished.
    Onlyr the government
    spending , printed and borrowed many Xs over Trillions of dollars just to stay afloat. And the funding these auto manufactures like Tesla etc. who wouldn't be on the map without the same Goverment subsides ..it's smike & mirrors.. No ? Beneath it all...there's no "real" worth.

The saying has always been, As California goes; So does the Country.

But Calif is beyond broke...it's all a big fake house of cards...am I off base?

Guess I'm a guy who can see what's in front of him black & white and sift through a reasonable amount of grey..but I still fail to see how a new company selling a electric truck that costs $70,000 dollars, who's produced even 900 vehicles that can't even be accurately long term reviewed yet as there so new, Can attain a value equal or greater than America's greatest century old auto manufactures?
    Sure it's a good looking vehicle..but the cost to own one is like 70k before insurance, matinence etc...
    Thats a 1/3 the price of many homes...
    I don't know about many of you..but 70k is a awful lot of money for the average person.
    Then there's Tesla similar prices...
    These are not vehicle's for the average American.
    Seems like a grandstand for a cheering section think " Red Square" propoganda
    My " common sense" meter tells me beware.
    ???
    Seriously like many, I have friends in Tech,Nurses,teachers,lawyers small buissness owners..we've all talked about this ..none of us can afford such luxuries? It's out of the question.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2022
  13. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

The veil is dropping…

StaccatoFan and BigBird like this.
  14. chobes

chobes Well-Known Member

After the Rivian runs out of power, you can buy additional sparks from your neighbor's F-150...

StaccatoFan and BigBird like this.
  15. auminer

Federal reserve. Not to pick nits.

And it's only just now coming out just how many tens if not hundreds of trillions of dollars were created out of thin air & ""loaned"" to banks all over the world.

ASSETS. If you can't touch it feel it or better yet stand on it & live in it, it ain't worth a damn. I'm probably a mere piker in this regard, with only 110 pounds of silver, a few tens of ounces of gold, and 25 acres of land. But those things will always be valued in real-time value. Best yet, I have a 30 year agreement to pay with 2-years-ago dollars for the highest value parcel of land. If inflation hits hard enough, my monthly payment could be reduced to effectively pennies on the real-time dollar.

16. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

You must be new here

Montoya likes this.
  17. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Prices homes lately?

Nothing wrong with a good house of cards... as long as nobody sneezes

Montoya and pickled egg like this.
  18. Jed

Jed mellifluous

I've seen a Rivian in the wild here in Atlanta. Every rich private school kid seems to drive a Bronco.

19. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

Do you want to take the red pill, or the blue pill? Sounds like some one chose... :D

20. Boman Forklift

At the time I didn’t think 5-600k was cheap? I learned that most places reasonably close to DFW don’t have docks connected to the house with access out to the lake, no matter what the price is.

auminer likes this.