1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A new Pope's been elected...so who is it?

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Ex CCS Racer, Apr 19, 2005.

1. Ex CCS Racer

Ex CCS Racer Banned

2. Robert

Robert Flies all green 'n buzzin

I'm hoping it's Francis Arinze.

But I think it will be a (very old) Italian guy. Take your pick. :)

3. mfbRSV

mfbRSV Well-Known Member

Father Guido

[​IMG]

4. Robert

At least I was right about the age, 78.

5. Booger Van der Jackass

Booger Van der Jackass Well-Known Member

Sweet. Let's do it all again in a few years. Mkay?

6. HPPT

HPPT !!!

LOL, I might even be around for the next one. :D

7. Shyster d'Oil

Shyster d'Oil Gerard Frommage

German guy, right??

8. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Yeah, but I think he spent his career in Rome.

9. proclivity

proclivity Well-Known Member

da Pope

Wikipedia had some of this stuff up BEFORE the Pope was finished with his acceptance speech!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pope_Benedict_XVI

I think most interesting is that he was forced into the Hitler Youth, then into the German Army before deserting (at risk of execution).

That guy has seen some sh!t, as we say outside of Vatican City.

10. Knarf Legna

Knarf Legna I am not Gary Hoover

Anyone know the reason from excluding cardinals over the age of 80 from the Conclave? Can't find anything that explains why.

11. busteriscool

busteriscool squidzilla

yeah hes german and rumor has it a former prison guard in aushwitz.

12. mfbRSV

mfbRSV Well-Known Member

CRS :D

13. Robert

That's not correct. Membership in Hitler's Nazi youth movement was compulsory for German teens so at age 14 Ratzinger was enrolled, he says against his will. Later on he was drafted into an anti-aircraft unit.

In 2000 he did issue a document "declaring the supremacy of Roman Catholicism and labelling other Christian faiths as defective."

And last year Ratzinger told a French newspaper that Turkey should not be admitted to the European Union because it is a Muslim country. He said "Europe is a cultural continent, not a geographical one. The roots that have formed it . . . are those of Christianity."

"Perhaps it is the inevitable fallout from a postmodern media age that he comes to the papacy likely with more nicknames than any pope in history: God's Rottweiler, Joe the Rat, the Enforcer, the Panzer Cardinal."

A recent newspaper poll found the majority of Germans were opposed to Ratzinger becoming pope.

14. busteriscool

busteriscool squidzilla

well if i was involved in one of the worst organizations (nazi's) and wanted to be pope i would deny having any at will involvement as well. not that i dont trust him, or trying to prove you wrong, but it sounds a bit strange. Youth are very impressionable, especially at the teen years when they are trying to define themselves by groups. just a little to think about. Im not catholic anyway, too much guilt

15. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

CRAFT

16. Rain Director

Rain Director Old guy

Not to be a smarta§§, but....

'Cuz John Paul II said so. Why he said so, I dunno. I do recall reading somewhere that JP II wanted younger blood making the choice of the next Pope. Since the majority of cardinals voting for pope this time around were appointed by JP II, he was ensuring his (JP II's) doctrine would be followed.

Sorry, no have linky.

But... you could ask Benedict XVI - he was JP II's bud. And the enforcer of Catholic (i.e.: JP II's) doctrine. This position was formerly known at the head of the Inquisition.

Which leads to a rather ugly nickname for Ratzinger that I heard seconds after he was announced as Pope... Adolf I.

All in all, not a urprise. The new guy is older, and has the thoughts as the old guy. A Pope with a view more to the liking of either more liberal American Catholics or of Latin America won't be in the works until Ben XVI passes.

17. Rain Director

Rain Director Old guy

Source? Linky?

18. etemplet

etemplet Well-Known Member

Your views seem to be from someone outside the Catholic Church and I don't mean standing outside. :) The Holy Spirit chooses the Pope, not men. Those that choose the Pope are acting in communion with the Holy Spirit. Catholics seek communion with God, to act out His will for us, to be Christ to others, to live the Beattitudes. Our whole life is spiritual, an interaction with God on a daily basis.

Spiritual growth is a result of our seeking God, and recognizing God in others. Formation or being formed, begins with our instruction at an early age, attending mass, participating in the Sacraments, the Sacred Liturgies, and constantly learning what it is to be Christ to others. It's not something that happens overnight. You have to give yourself over to God, which takes a great deal of faith. Our Faith sustains us.

I just thought some perspective on how Catholics seek communion with God, and how that communion becomes deeper as we grow in faith and spirituality, influences how we live and discern our path. For me to have a preference concerning the selection of our Pope would be a direct contradiction of my faith in God. When I pray, I say, "Not my will Father but Your will be done" How then could I say, God this is the Pope I think we need. That would be down right silly.

There is a joke concerning Christian prayer. When we should be saying, "Speak God, your servant is listening" we often say, "Listing God, I am speaking." Our goal is the former.

Don't expect the Church to change, there is nothing wrong with Her. Pope Benedictus XVI is perfectly correct, he relects the veiws of Pope John Paul II, God, and the whole Catholic Church. Catholics will be called to make a decision on whether or not they are Catholics, or some other faith. The buffet is closing. :D

19. Knarf Legna

Knarf Legna I am not Gary Hoover

So Cardinals over 80 years old can't act in communion? Wondering about my earlier question as to why they don't participate in the Conclave.

20. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

I'd think the Holy Spirit could make up its mind a little faster - it took 4 ballots to decide on a new Pope.

Your denial must be as strong as your faith. ;)

There's something to be said for flexibility and the ability to adapt to modern times. Wasn't it Christ who chastised the Pharisees for holding on to their traditions? (their refusal to change/adapt) Be careful claiming "perfection" of the Church - nothing is perfect and change can be positive.