1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

-998!!!

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Sacko DougK, May 6, 2010.

1. Sacko DougK

Sacko DougK Well-Known Member

America just went bankrupt for about 3-5 minutes. Watched it happen.....At first I was trying to sell, but couldn't. Then at -600 I was trying to buy and couldn't. Still can't get on to my brokers web site, they must have clobbered.

2. HPPT

HPPT !!!

It's quite ugly. I was just checking my portfolio, had no idea this was going on. I had a bit of shock. :D

3. MV

MV Well-Known Member

I watched that. -448 to -998 then back to -350 in about 10 minutes.

Crazy Sh!t.

PIGS....Portugal, Ireland, Greece, Spain.

4. Sacko DougK

I still can't get a buy order in and it's been 15 minutes now.

5. CorollaDude

CorollaDude Beach Bum

Bankrupt for 3-5 minutes?! Are you kidding? We haven't even been solvent for 3-5 minutes in decades.

6. Sacko DougK

P&G down to $39, now back up in the $60's. I was trying to buy that in the 40's. That would have been a nice addition!!

7. Sacko DougK

I mean yard sale, grab your guns, get in the bunker bankrupt. Well, not literally but you know what I mean.

8. Sacko DougK

Too bad this didn't happen last week, I just turned in a term paper on Behavioral Economics and it's effects on the stock market.

9. HPPT

HPPT !!!

At least, it's not your fault. I was trying to move some cash from a savings account to my brokerage account at the same institution a couple of days ago. I realized today that I sent it to my checking account at another bank. So I have no cash available to buy anything today. :D

10. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

I was freakin' out. I'm already massively upset about how much my stock has lost over the past few weeks. :(

11. Sacko DougK

Just now got a couple of buys in. These are a couple I have been waiting for. None of the bottom feeding I was looking to do 20 minutes ago.

12. MV

MV Well-Known Member

You wouldn't have watched, Nova a couple weeks ago? :)

http://www.moaf.org/events/general/evt_20100422

13. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Dude, small players like us don't get to take advantage of those opportunities.

14. divein6

divein6 Well-Known Member

I view international bond prices every day, its very fun to price bonds 300 basis points in one day

15. Sacko DougK

I just saw that last week, after my paper was due. I was like holy shit, that would have a great resource. That was a great episode.

CNBC is saying this was a human error set off by a trader entering "B" as in Billion for a sale and that may have set this all off.

16. Sacko DougK

Oh, I know.....but the price I got these at is still below what I value the company at. Which really just means it's the intrinsic value to me and probably not the true value.

17. MV

MV Well-Known Member

CNBC..now reporting this could be. "A trading error, by a Major firm"

Last edited: May 6, 2010
  18. Sacko DougK

Wars couldn't bring down our country......But, one wrong keystroke buy a guy holding a jelly donut and the world is thrown into anarchy. :crackup:

19. divein6

divein6 Well-Known Member

wait.. you got a link.. what kinda error. its really hard to fuck up that bad

20. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

Someone just got fired...