1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

97 YZF750r vs. 94 GSXR750

Discussion in 'General' started by shaugdog, Jun 29, 2013.

1. shaugdog

shaugdog Pimpalicious

Both super clean, both amazingly around 16000 miles.

Any crazy problems with any of them? I'm just looking for a bike to cruise the streets with, and maybe do a trackday with just to stretch the legs a little on the bike. Thanks for any input.

2. quikie

quikie Fugitive at Large

I had a YZF750. It's one of my all time favorite bikes. Definitely the better of the two on the street. Very comfortable ride and great handling.

3. Woofentino Pugr

Woofentino Pugr Well-Known Member

I still have my 97 YZF750. Close to 100K miles on it. Crazy smooth cornering. Very strong brakes. Good low rpm torque (kinda twin-ish torque down low). Very comfy (I can go 300 miles before having to get off the bike for an hour or so).

Now for the bad things.
    Parts hard as hell to find.
    Aftermarket is limited
    Emulsion tubes (needle jets) very soft and have to be replaced every 5K-20K miles on ave. Bike drops mpg to sub 30 when they are getting bad and will idle up to 3K for the same reason.
    Mine eats batteries. replace it every 2 yrs.
    Tabs on side fairings easy to break off.
    Mine doesnt like 520 aluminum sprockets. Stick with 530 if you want aluminum.
    rear wheel is a PITA to put back on.

Pluses
    Seen maybe 5 in the 16yrs I've had mine.
    Less likely to be stolen since its not common nor a desired bike (ie R1, Gix1K, Zx10 etc).
    Totally paid for. :)
    Uses the same oil filter that most Hondas use (PH17A).
    Comfy for passenger and rear shock compression can be ajdusted on the fly.

I have some work I have to do on mine. Unfrotunately it needs it on a bad year money wise. Have to get new fork slider tubes (both sets of forks ihave got a flake chip in the same spot), replace the clutch, new rear pad and should replace the rotor, emulsion tubes need replacing again (going with factory pro hardened ones), new chain sprocket, new frame sliders (lost one 2 yrs ago and Intuitive doesnt make them anymore) and fix the side fairing tabs that broke off.

Heres mine after removing the goofy stock graphics for a Tapeworks "R7" kit. painted the frame semi-gloss black to get rid of the stupid frame polish attempt of mine.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 30, 2013
  4. lee955i

lee955i The Traveling Gnome

Well, I put about 20k on a 93 GSXR 750. The 94 was the same bike with a few revisions (swingarm, slightly different upper and headlight, etc) Second year of the watercooled engines and mine was reliable as a tank...and only slightly lighter:D. Handling was predictable and stable, if a bit ponderous. Brakes were acceptable but not outstanding (all that weight again).
    In all honesty, I've never ridden a YZF 7 but had friends with one or two and, to me, they didn't quite have the level of refinement or fit and finish as the Suzy. Damn close though.
    I'd love to have either as they both scream "Classic Sportbike" to me, but would lean towards the GSXR. YMMV of course:D
    Cheers, Lee S.

5. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Buy them both, problem solved. :D

6. bodell

bodell Green Racing Advocate

I have had 2 yzf 750s. I think it is the best looking bike ever. Just make sure that the airbox is intact. Otherwise it won't run for shit.

7. Woofentino Pugr

Woofentino Pugr Well-Known Member

And make sure the EXUP valve is still intact and working unless you are racing it.