1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

75 Years Ago Today...

Discussion in 'General' started by rd400racer, Dec 16, 2019.

1. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

Dad was a paratrooper with the 504th 3rd and was part of Market Garden as well as the Battle of the Bulge. Wish I could go back and listen to the stories a few more times, he wouldn’t talk about it much but when he did it was worth listening too.
    There is a paper clipping somewhere about them using a German tank to advance. Need to did it out.

Triple X, G 97 and mpusch like this.
  2. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Some of the armor from the Market Garden re-enactment. 7B6A9BE7-83CF-4F38-A963-43AE25A48873.jpeg A710674E-2535-49C2-AB19-B2B77785AFA5.jpeg 4970BEC9-0195-4EDA-BC1A-81294CAF482E.jpeg

3. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

Its also what did in the Yamato. If not for a lucky strike, that ship would've done some more damage to the fleet.

4. Lawn Dart

I believe you can request records through the VA, as a family member. That's how we got my grandfather's info. The rest was through research of the unit. I thought decorations like that usually came with a description/explanation.

Funkm05 likes this.
  5. Lawn Dart

The Belgians and Dutch are the best about this... I saw many being visited and decorated. People would come and leave poems, poppy wreaths (fake poppies, but still), and all of the graves are clean.

The fucking French on the other hand.... LOL - There was a guy and a girl filming a music video or some shit at Meuse-Argonne Cemetery the day I was there. She was on a powered scooter riding around, and he was following her in a car, hanging a GoPro out the window. :crackup:

G 97 likes this.
  6. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

Yamato took upwards of 10 torpedos and 10+bomb hits. Musashi took even more to go down. Amazing ships.

7. Lawn Dart

That fucker could have taken much, much more if not for the way it was designed with a fatal flaw/luck hit. There's a show on Nat Geo called Drain the Oceans that gets to the bottom of what happened (no pun intended). They figured out that the guns on it were actually bigger than intelligence indicated. I forget, but they already knew they were massive.

Triple X likes this.
  8. SOFG2

SOFG2 Well-Known Member

Nice, I think mine will be there around the 9th.

Triple X likes this.
  9. tl1098

tl1098 Well-Known Member

Never,ever let us forget"The Greatest Generation!!!"

10. sdg

sdg *

I typed up a bunch of shit but deleted it because you fuckers won't believe the shit I have heard first hand because I am an asshole.

And I mean stories I have heard from that generation, 18yo and flying airplanes in the Pacific.

11. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I don't believe you won't share.

sdg likes this.
  12. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

What an asshole.

13. sdg

sdg *

I'm reformed.