1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

7/11 GSXR History Question

Discussion in 'General' started by RRP, Mar 9, 2021.

1. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Question for Sean and those who've been with WERA since the late 80s -

Were the 7/11 GSXRs originally built specifically for the Formula USA class back in the day or ?

tks.
    M

2. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

And endurance, F1 and because it was kick ass.

RRP likes this.
  3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Well, it started putting the trans from whichever had a 6 speed first into the other and went from there, not always in superbike classes :D Overall though there weren't many 7/11 combos that I remember (Chuck Grave before he rode for JU maybe?), the FUSA bikes tended to be full on 1100 chassis with a 1340 or so engine. The first real group of engine swaps I remember was the FZR600 into an FZR400 chassis.

CR750, stk0308 and RRP like this.
  4. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Thanks

I am trying to put my entry together for the Concours.

Since this bike is a combination of several former racebikes, I want to do more of a history of the concept kind of thing.

If you happen to have any more relevant info, I'd be obliged to hear it.

tks
    M

5. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Mark, a good article on doing it was in motorcyclist magazine (or spirtrider). I remember chainsnstch and those guys doing one up for the 24hrs of willow.
    Can’t remember but they may have even did a 6 speed gearbox but that’s a bit fuzzy.

Really, it was a long time ago but that’s the way I remember it and I’m sticking to it. :D

RRP likes this.
  6. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

This is a good one I found, had a lot of info etc.

https://www.cycleworld.com/2014/01/23/cycle-world-project-suzuki-gsx-r-endurance-racer/

7. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

That was probably It. I was thinking chainsnstch but it might have been Toland.

I remember it being painted up like that so. . .

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Go post in the Vintage section, tons of those fools were building them at the time if they existed :D

RRP likes this.
  9. SpeedWerks Racing

SpeedWerks Racing Well-Known Member

Remember when Graves took the bounty off the Roberts GP bikes at Road Atlanta?
    Chuck showed up with a built 7/11, using 5/8 garden hose as fuel line, running on methanol with what looked like 200 h.p. The Methanol Monster... That thing was fuckin scary.

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I didn't think Chuck ran methanol, thought that was just Keith and the Hammer bike but it's been a long long time :D

But overall yeah, Chuck had some seriously fast stuff.

11. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Yeah, I don't remember Chuck playing with Methanol but who knows, he might have. I do remember him showing up with some shit from Japan that Yosh USA didn't even have yet for their superbikes.

12. KMC

KMC DUC|DET

Paging Eboz, the God Of Thunder.

13. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

I've tried - believe me. Eric is MIA right now.

14. SBKBee

SBKBee Owner: FZ hotel

Don Canet had an evil methanol bike. And Doug Toland was instrumental in 6 speed 1100s and 7/11 sprint bikes.

15. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

Why you gotta be mean like that? Fools? 7/11's are great bikes. Not always super rider friendly and I have a few body parts that hurt every morning because of one but great bikes regardless...:crackup:

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Y'all being fools has nothing remotely to do with the bike(s) :crackup:

RRP and crashman like this.
  17. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Canet built some trick shit but I don’t remember him even trying methanol but, once again, it was a long time ago and I could be wrong.

I briefly flirted with the idea of trying to run that evil shit but Powermist, who blended me up some crazy shit (including some stuff that was not legal in a certain org and might have been illegal in 48 states) but they wouldn’t mess with that shit.
    JU and Valvoline were the only one to get the fuel right even if it ate seals and delivered power like a horse kick to the face.

18. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Who raced the methanol monster for hammer? Jacks? Martin? I don’t think Hall was that insane but he did surprise me at times with his lunacy. :D

19. pawpawrc

pawpawrc Well-Known Member

Mark I’ll hit Eboz up on our little V7 FB group.

RRP likes this.
  20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Kurt. I kind of think Michael may have ridden it once but it was Kurts for the most part.