1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

450GP class for next year?

Discussion in 'General' started by BiZ, Sep 14, 2007.

1. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

i'm thinking about sponsoring ted cobb on one of these next year. first race he loses...he's out. ;)

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Some parts will be spec'd, others won't. Don't know yet which will be which.

3. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

In that case can we go ahead and get a ruling on Italian Cams?

4. ChainReactionR1

ChainReactionR1 Well-Known Member

I think your right, I'd say the wide ratio out of the WR would be better over the close ratio MX gearing, but I wouldnt go with the WR motor.

5. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

But with stock motors and trans, you'd have to, right?

6. ChainReactionR1

ChainReactionR1 Well-Known Member

yep, damn KTM 450smr motor might be the ticket, 6 speed stock, dont know about that chassis though

7. WERA33

WERA33 Well-Known Member

any idea about the 250 two-strokes being allowed as in mx?

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Nope. Not in the spec class.

9. Hmmmm Mongo...this is intriguing! This might convince me, or help me convince the wife to let me come out and play again. With a SM there is not as much time needed like in a 600...so I could probably swing this with my busy schedule. :up: When can we expect the full run down?:up: :D

10. ScottyRock155

ScottyRock155 A T-Rex going RAWR!

Does anyone have any pictures?

I don't want to read, I just want to look at the pretty pictures.

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

12. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

I honestly thought they were the same except the gearing and the cam - are there other differences?

13. Jed

Jed mellifluous

I'm really interested in this class. I'm shooting for my racing license late this year or early next and I'm having fits with the damn FZR400. If I could buy a conversion kit for a 450 and have a turn key bike that is more or less equal to everyone else in the class I'd be all over it.

I come from a sailboat racing background, and one design racing (spec class on bikes) is where it's at. You know your equipment is 99% equivalent to the other guys so if you suck it's because you suck, not because of a mechanical or engineered advantage. And let me tell you, I suck!

Sign me up!

14. Sorry...I am coming into this discussion late. So Grant and Roland have built these...mainly for their riders correct? So are they saying they are going to build these for others as well? If we can build our own, then when will we see the run down on what is allowed and what is not, what are the guide lines?

15. WERA33

WERA33 Well-Known Member

Figures....ama homo's. guess it doesnt matter that the "fart cans" have the upper hand in mx. would be a cool mix.

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Roland and Grant have built them as purely a concept bike for right now. Based on how they turned out we're going to make a class for them. The details are being ironed out.

17. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

But in the spirit of what Mongo is putting together it wouldn't make sense. As soon as you allow 250 2-strokes you begin exploiting the differences in machinery. That's not really the point. In fact the point is to make the machinery very very similar so that rider talent is the difference.

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'm answering the questions but it is being put together by Gavin Trippe and Roland and others (we'll have input of course but it's their baby so they deserve the props for it).

19. ScottyRock155

ScottyRock155 A T-Rex going RAWR!

Will this only be for the Nationals? Or will there be a regional class too?

20. Silo Pete

Silo Pete We have ignition.

I would think that even if there is NOT a 450GP class at the regional level, the bike could be used in Clubman, D SBK, F2. Unless the rules change.