1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

305 Honda Help

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by videojack, Nov 18, 2006.

1. videojack

videojack Racing for Therapy

Looks like I just won the bid on a 305 Superhawk. (350GP bike) I will be needing tires and do not even know what size the rims are yet. Anybody with suggestions? Are there any standard mods required? Any help would be appreciated. [email protected] for any attachemnts. Thanks.

2. Tinfoil hat charly

Tinfoil hat charly Well-Known Member

totally cool bike--these were raced back in the day [mid 60's] but they never acheived the kind of sales volume as the stronger replacement cb350 so they are comparatively rare and probably the support out there is restoration oriented--but i am in awe of your courage!

3. push rod

push rod Well-Known Member

Best of luck

What little I remember is:

1. The rocker arm feet wear, so check out yours. I think they're hard chromed. I think megacycle used to make hard overlay rockers.

2. Honda made a very phallic velocity stack that was very effective. You oughtta try to find a set.

3. Rear shocks were vile.

4. Lose weight.

4. videojack

Yeah, I was at Nashville on my CL350 and noticed this guy fly by me. We were pitted close, so I wandered over. As a result of being and original qualifer of the 350GP, the 305 is pre 1968, he was able to ad after market carbs, punch it out to 350cc and run the heck out of it. From the initial internet searching, it seems that the bike comes wiht 18" wheels. Seller to verify shortly. Thanks all.

5. Tinfoil hat charly

Tinfoil hat charly Well-Known Member

yes, they are definitely 18's, probably a 1.60/ 1.80 f/r-same as cb350. i laced up 2.15/ 2.75 on my 350--probably overkill [2.75 not ahmra legal] max with his giant 5" rim on his xr650 kept telling me you can't have too much tire! i wonder

6. videojack

Too much tire

Charly, I would have to admit that as I outfit this bike for the track, I am considering 80/90H18 on the front and 100/90H18 or possibly 110/90H18s on the rear. With the smaller motor, less spinning mass has its advantages. The bigger the tire, the more mass that motor has to accelerate and more mass the brakes have to decelerate. I think I am going to make up for the smaller tires on the smaller bike by hanging my smaller (dieted) body off the bike and onto the track (knee pucks). We'll chat more, this time next year and see what experience has to say. Its been fun. Jack of Team Old and Oily.