1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2nd Gen SV650 Shifting Issues

Discussion in 'Tech' started by wcoats, Dec 27, 2014.

1. wcoats

wcoats Well-Known Member

I have an SV650 that I race and I was having an issue with it last seasen when I would try to down shift more than one gear at a time. It would downshift the first gear fine, but I would have to gently tap the shift lever back the oposit direction and then forward againg to get the next downshift to take some of the time. It wasn't any particular gear that it would happen on more frequently but seamed to sometimes happen on any of the down shift. I just pulled the clutch cover and clutch basket off so I could see the shift star and see if I could recreate the problem. When rocking the rear wheel back and forth to move the transmition while shifing the shift star got didn't make a full gear change a few times. It went bassed the hump but not all the way into the next valley. Allso the thing that moves the shift star was sitting on top of the raised studs and not dropping back into place to move to the next gear.

Here is a picture of what it looked like
    [​IMG]

Here is a picute of when it makes a full shift
    [​IMG]

Another thing that seems weird to me is that it did this some on both upshifts and downshifts, but I only had a problem with downshifts while riding the bike. I'm tying to figure out wif this is an issue with my shift star assembly or the transmition.

Thansk for any help.

2. chwolfe

chwolfe Well-Known Member

Now that you have the motor open, check your gear shift lever (on the rearset) for binding.

3. wcoats

wcoats Well-Known Member

The rearset doesn't seem to be binding. That was the first thing I tried. I even tried swapping the shift side rearset from my other SV and the problem didn't go away.

4. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

The Spears Racing star has helped solve a lot of these problems for SVs that I've worked on. It's easy enough to buy and bolt on to see if it fixes the problem. If the problem is internal, you still have better shifting in the end.

5. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

Rocking wheel back and forth is not enough to make it shift smooth.
    Looks like you have 05 or newer sv or upgraded shift parts. There is nothing more you can improve there. If those parts all look and work good most like your problem is internal or you are not moving your foot from lever.
    Are you releasing clutch between downshifts?

6. TWF2

btw. replace that bolt holding star, it is worn out.

7. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

Will,
    The "Spears" shift star is nothing but the 2005 and up updated OEM parts. It's the same star, spring, and shift pawl that you have. Just like the Spears steel oil pump gear is nothing but an early model SV OEM piece....

Check your shift shaft and make sure it's not bent and binding. I know you're familiar with what happens when you crash hard on the left side and that shaft takes a hit....

8. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Whoops, didn't realize that. Good info.

9. wcoats

wcoats Well-Known Member

If I turn the wheel a few turns between each shift should that be enough to make it shift properly?
    I think I was releasing the clutch between downshifts, but could be remembering incorrectly. It would only happen when I was in breaking zones that required 2 to 3 downshifts before a turn. I'll make sure to think aobut it and that I am letting the clutch out each time next year.

Ok, I'll order one. How do you hold the shift star in place when removing it? I just tried to loosen it with an allen wrench, but it just moved the shift start to the next gear.

Thanks for the info, that saves me from wasting money on the Spears shift star hoping that it would make it shift better
    Yeah, unfortunatly I do, that's why I have this motor in this bike. How do I check to make sure the shift shaft isn't bent? If I don't feel any binding when moving the shift lever is it good to go, or is there another way to check for a small bend that would be less noticable?

Thanks everyone for the responses and info I apperciate the help from such knowledgable people.

An interesting side note: My other SV that I'm not having shifting issues with is an 04. But it was also a wrecked street bike that I turned into a race bike, so it's transmition probably hasn't seen the abuse that a used race bike has been through.

10. TWF2

Try to space downshifts if you have to do 2-3. I used to do first one and than wait little for other 1 or 2. It is rare you have to do 3 on sv.
    You can turn wheel by hand and shift, usually it does ok but once in while it will not align gears. It does not mean something is wrong. Just keep that in mind before chasing problem that my not exist.
    You can jam screwdriver behind arm or just let star turn to the end.

11. wcoats

wcoats Well-Known Member

Ok, thanks for the advice and help