1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2nd Gen SV650 and Pit Bull TRS issues?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by JBarx, Sep 26, 2015.

1. JBarx

JBarx Status: None.

I have ChemGuy's old 2003 SV650 if any of you are familiar. I ordered a TRS and the shipping notification showed they sent first gen pins with the system. I talked to them and they shipped second gen pins right behind the system so I am here with a TRS and two sets of pins.

Thing is, between the two sets of pins I can't find a combo that actually works.

Anyone else have this issue? Or could the axle be non-spec and throwing me off?

The first-gen right side fits the hex nut, and the first-gen chain side fitting is a round female fitting and so that's a no-go, and the supposed second gen chain side fitting has a post that's too big to fit through the axle.

Am I missing something here? Anyone else have experience with this? Thanks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. bigkaley

bigkaley Well-Known Member

"AC L (left)" female TRS pin goes over axle nut on 2nd gen and the male TRS pin goes into axle head end from Right side. Assuming axle is still in OEM orientation going in from Right side of bike.

3. r6boater

r6boater Logged out

You need to use the two pieces in the left side if the picture. Far left captures the nut, the pin will fit into the other end of the axle.

4. JBarx

Let me try this another way, I don't think I am explaining the situation very well.....

[​IMG]

5. Dave_SV

Dave_SV Well-Known Member

Sprocket side pin slips over the axle nut

6. jimfowler

jimfowler Well-Known Member

I've had extremely good results from calling pit bull whenever I have a question.

7. r6boater

r6boater Logged out

There is one nut and one axle...the axle has a head but is not a nut...

In your picture of the nut side, you are attempting to insert the pin into the wrong side... that is the side you should be using the "female" piece.

IOW, switch the sides of what you've been trying to do...

8. JBarx

OK I'm officially a dipshit.

Thanks for the help guys.

I had it stuck in my mind that the brake side of the axle was solid for some reason, so I was trying to do it backwards. Never looked at it closer, and making a fool of myself is what I get for that.

Ugh, I hate being stupid.

Anyway, this is obviously how it's supposed to work. There's a little bit of slop, about 1/4" laterally but I assume that normal for all the systems.

Now I'll work on getting the baseplate mounted.

I'm putting this on a 3/4" PT plywood floor (coated in Herculiner) over expanded metal - your typical open 5x8 open trailer. I was thinking about reinforcing with a 2x8 underneath and making a sandwich but PB says that's not necessary, they test on 3/4" material. In which case I could located the plate, drill through, and then cut away the mesh so the washers have good bite on the plywood. Call it a day.

Any strong opinions one way or another?

Thanks again for straightening me out.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 27, 2015
  9. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

how are you attaching the plywood to the trailer?
    I'd just let the drill remove any wire floor and bolt it down. Maybe make a larger backing plate and capture some of the wire deck with it.

10. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

Might want to get that rear tire wearing smoother. Looks to be getting chewed

11. JBarx

The floor's been down for a couple years, I've bolted through the angle-iron frame in 28 places. Two-sheet floor, 30"x96" pieces with a central longitudinal seam.

12. JBarx

Yes I am having issues there too... I have a lot of work to do to get this bike dialed in. I have two track days on it so far, just getting my feet wet.

13. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

solid plan, it sounds like

14. JBarx

Got it all done. Just had to have my "derp moment".

I definitely had to torque the main bolts well past spec torque to get the slop out of the latches. Once I squished the standoffs down a bit things firmed up and made me feel a little better.

Thank you guys again for the help, appreciate the BEEB.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. r6boater

r6boater Logged out

Glad you got it figured out!

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Slop in the latches and the lateral movement are all acceptable and part of how they work. Still rock solid mounting even with that movement the bike goes nowhere, just gives you some leeway in loading it.

17. JBarx

Right on, thanks. There's still just a touch of freeplay in there, otherwise it's pretty high and tight. I'm gonna run a few errands and field-test it in real-world conditions.