1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

250 or what?

Discussion in '2-Stroke Machines' started by alpinestars260, May 22, 2005.

1. alpinestars260

alpinestars260 supermoto Member

okok i know that people are goin to say go to the 125's for the cornerspeed and stuff, but a motard really teaches those skills too. at tally i was on my KTM, and a 125 was just a little faster than me in the 90's but in the highspeed stuff i always passed him/her. but i dont really want to go the the sv's or 600's i want to go to the 250's. like how much does it cost to run one compared to a sv? i have no problem with the 2 stroke engine stuff so what do you guys have to say?

2. Ian178

Ian178 Well-Known Member

I run a 125 and don't know much about the 250's except for the fact that they are realy freakin expensive to run!

3. alpinestars260

4. jp233

jp233 hu huh, you said "member"

compared to an SV, any 2stroke will probably be more to operate.

unless you have some rocket SV motor that you have to freshen every year, unless it blows up mid-year on you and snaps the crank.

250's are great. top end is about $130, clutch about $100 (if you have to buy new steels too), TZ cranks about $650 to rebuild.

a stock SV you can just put gas and tires on it for a season, and be good to go (until you crash it of course). change the oil a few times maybe.

at least you are on the right track (screw an SV or 600), get a 125 and start there.......

and i dunno what 125 you passed on a motard *cough* retard bike, but it must not have been running properly.

Last edited: May 23, 2005
  5. Ian178

Ian178 Well-Known Member

No joke man! I've never been passed by a motard on my 125, and I'm not THAT fast. 125's aren't that expensive to run, I think it would be a good choice if you aren't too large!

6. alpinestars260

na really guys i did pass a 125 at tally and barber. he was clearly a slow guy but i still passed him

7. Ian178

Ian178 Well-Known Member

I don't doubt that you passed him, i'm just saying the 125 is a faster bike, in my opnion, could be wrong!

8. jp233

a 125 is a factory road racing motorcycle.

a motard is a dirt bike made to run on a road course.

apples and oranges, but the 125 should be way faster in the hands of even a very novice pilot.

9. ecumike

ecumike Relocated Yankee

Right.
    And you know, a 125 can keep up with and pass 1000's.. I can prove it.. watch my videos. :)

That doesn't count.

If you put the same rider on a (mo)retard, and a 125, having equal skill/riding time on each, the 125 will win hands down, unless you're running on a gokart track or some shit.

10. alpinestars260

alright i dont really care how you guys keep saying sh#t about my bike sence its the only one we can afford right now. ill i wanted to know is how much it takes to run these gp bikes... and motards are great bikes:D

11. Ian178

Ian178 Well-Known Member

Can't speak for the other guys but I wasn't trying to put down your bike! different strokes for different folks and what not. The fact does remain that the 125 is faster though. My second weekend on the bike at jennings (don't know if your familiar with lap times there) I turned a 1:26, Probably could've got a '25 if my good expansion chamber didn't break :rolleyes: And i'm still a newb, and my bike is old ('95). I'd say go for a 125, I don't think you'd be dissapointed!
    As for running costs, last weekend I used...

About a can and a half of VP MR-8 at 60$ a can

A new set of tires- 240 with shipping- still got some lif in 'em btw

A couple of quarts of premix oil at about $20 a quart

as for engine work I put a new top end in which costs about $100 in parts and lasts for about 3 weekends as I understan it

You aso have to do a complete rebuild once a season, and i haven't done one yet but I think parts are a little under $600

Hope that helps! Also check out USGPRU.net/ for more info, its a great site!

12. alpinestars260

awesome! not bad at all for parts and to keep it running. thanks for the info. just gotta find a 125 now:D

13. jp233

VP C-12 has run just as good as the MR8 in my bike and its like half the cost ($35-42 for 5gal).

I use premix which is $6-8 a quart (Amsoil), its pretty good although its probably not as good as the fancy schmancy Castrol A747.

for a 125 it costs you $100 for a top end ? thats strange. my TZ pistons are $40 each, $15 each for rings, so thats $110. base/head gaskets and such, well just buy a ton of them at once and have them around at all times. spark plugs and clutch plates also get used up, especially clutches.