1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2019 North Central thoughts

Discussion in 'General' started by Mongo, Dec 18, 2018.

1. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Cool

I sure hope these beep peeps show up at the majority of the NC rounds this year!

2. KMC

KMC DUC|DET

I think it's awesome that we can run Grattan both ways. Always adds a good dynamic.

Speaking on Nelson, great news about the repave. Nice to see folks making improvements over there. I guess they moved some trees/tires which is awesome. Looking at this aerial picture though, the tire wall outside of the kink on the back straight still looks really close. It seems like they have the room to move them back farther. Maybe cut a few of the trees down in that corner? I hit that tire wall in '08. I remember thinking, "Damn, these are way closer than I thought!!!" You're clipping through there at what...160mph on a modern bike?

Attached Files:

steve802cc likes this.
  3. 5axis

5axis Well-Known Member

At the Lean Track Day I did this past August I was low 150s on my Triumph. Ricky Ohare was there with a R1 and he was walking away from me rapidly. So really really fkn fast now.. and equally fun.

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

We were more concerned about others first but yeah, we'll be asking for that too.

5. KMC

KMC DUC|DET

Awesome! Thanks Sean.

6. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

It looks like they removed the corner workers station in 13 from that photo? I never understood why that station was placed there. Plenty of people ran off the track in that area and I can't believe that no one ever hit it.

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

It was okay way way back in the day but yeah, it needed to go.

8. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

So, are we going to do another 24 hour at The Ledges?

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Not without a huge cash sponsor so we can offer a purse that's enough to offset some of the huge expense for everyone. I think 50k should do it. :D

10. kenessex

Cool, who do you have in mind? When do you expect to finalize the deal and make the announcement?

badmoon692008 likes this.
  11. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Might as well be Yamaha, providing a fleet of R3's - cause I ain't seein' many people volunteering their bikes for a 24-hour beat down. lol.

rcarson15, TwiztedRabbit and cav115 like this.
  12. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

3MR would be there.

rcarson15 and ekraft84 like this.
  13. kenessex

I would have an SV out there. I have done 2 of the 24 hours. I have forgotten the pain by now, so I'd do another.

14. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

I think an ULW 24 hr would be a blast. The smaller bikes would result in a significant decrease in expense. No changing tires every stop and not sucking down 8-9 gallons of fuel per hr. No significant difference in speed on the track like back in the day when you had high hp bikes sucking the paint off of ex 500s down the straight.
    And for the people on pit board duty, they could take a nap in between laps:D

badmoon692008 likes this.
  15. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

We would field a team for sure.

16. kenessex

I agree, I think limiting it to lightweight twins and smaller makes sense. Everybody knows that a clapped out SV can be bought and considered disposable for a 24 hr. Plus the savings in tire costs and fuel would be significant.

17. kenessex

Mongo,
    How many teams would need to pre-enter for a 24 hr, to consider looking for a sponsor and making it viable?

18. JBall

JBall REALLY senior member

I think you need a sponsor to come forward to allow teams to consider if it is worthwhile to pre-enter. A race with ULW and Light weight would make an interesting mix of bikes.

19. JBall

JBall REALLY senior member

In the "walk before your run" philosophy, you probably should promote a 6 or an 8 hour race that goes from day to night, to see how many teams you can attract that will go through the effort to get a light setup together before anyone is thinking about a 24 hour.

Wheel Bearing, ekraft84 and ChemGuy like this.
  20. kenessex

That's one way of looking at it. The other way is that a 24hr is an EVENT in and of itself. The 24 hr of Nelson Ledges has a place in history and a revival could make it an even bigger event that a sponsor might be willing to support if they knew that 40 teams were already committed.