1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2018 R1 motor/electrical issues

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Itey, Aug 31, 2021.

1. Itey

Itey Well-Known Member

I have a 2018 R1. Last sunday at Pitt when I went out for the first practice session after riding the bike friday and racing saturday, the bike wouldnt rev higher than 3k RPMS and wouldnt go over 40. It felt like it was the equivalent to limp mode on a vehicle. The dash didnt show any codes. I came in and removed the positive and neg terminals and waited 15-20 minutes. Installed them back on the battery and the bike ran fine for the next two races.
    Saturday while cleaning the bike and getting it ready for this weekend, I noted that the battery was dead. Today I installed a new battery and the bike is back to revving to 3k RPMs and sounds like its missing. Removing the battery leads and installing them back has no change.
    Any ideas? bike has about 3600 miles on it.

2. RightSideUp

RightSideUp Well-Known Member

Sounds like a connection or ground issue possibly since the problem changed a couple times after messing with the battery leads. Did you check all of your plugs and ground connections? Also what's your running voltage at the terminals?