1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2017+ R6 Swingarm Compatibility

Discussion in 'Tech' started by SnkrMonstr, Apr 18, 2023.

1. SnkrMonstr

SnkrMonstr Member

Hey all, I'm not finding much info searching around but curious if anyone knows the differences between the '17+ and '08-'16 swingarm's?

Mine had a losing battle with the pavement at Barber and ground down the metal and snapped a spool off, leaving the threading behind. I'm not finding many '17+ available in decent condition and/or trying to find additional repair/replace options.

Thoughts? Does this even look bad enough to care about? The only thing I'm after is that it's still structurally sound, black paint and a swingarm cover are pretty cheap. ;) However, the damage is in a fairly important place, I think?

Thanks in advance for the help!

IMG_1903.jpeg IMG_1905.jpeg

2. YamRZ350

YamRZ350 Nicorette Dependent

Remove broken bolt, install new spool and run it.

SnkrMonstr likes this.
  3. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

That's definitely something fixed at the racetrack all the time. Get a good center punch in the middle of that bolt and then drill it until the drill bit catches and pushes the bolt out the other side.

Wheel Bearing and SnkrMonstr like this.
  4. Gecko

Gecko Well-Known Member

Yup ... been there, done that. What they said.---^

SnkrMonstr likes this.
  5. cincigp

cincigp Well-Known Member

I prefer to use a left handed drill bit on bolts like this. In this case, it will probably grab and then back the bolt out. Worst case, you end up drilling it through like you would have anyway.

SnkrMonstr likes this.
  6. SnkrMonstr

SnkrMonstr Member

Thanks all for the help! I'll try to back it out with the extractor bit and if that goes nowhere I'll just try the other direction.

Seems like the damage to the swingarm itself isn't a concern?

7. backho

backho Well-Known Member

Just smooth it down with a file and some emery cloth. It’s not a problem at all.

SnkrMonstr likes this.
  8. dudutzu

dudutzu Well-Known Member

If loctite was used on that bolt then you gonna want some heat before you attempt to turn it.
    Also, if you have access to a welder, weld a nut to the broken bolt and it'll be out in no time.

SnkrMonstr likes this.