1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2017+ R6 Rear shock geometry

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Cbrkp, Jul 22, 2023.

1. Cbrkp

Cbrkp Well-Known Member

Putting in a Ktech rear shock on 17+ R6.

whats the consensus for the shim or no shim with 293mm eye to eye on rear shock?

front forks are 10mm showing off top triple and bottom out identified as 30mm before bottom of stanchion tube.

thank you

2. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

It's hard to give good advice on this. A good answer is really dependent on how much info you provide, and you gave very little. Here are some follow-up questions that would help fill those gaps. Track? Pace? Tires? Gearing & Chain length? Springs within range? Forks extended?

I ran my 15' R6 anywhere from 292-298mm total shock length. I left the shock at 292mm and replaced the shim to suit the track. I was running Expert podium pace, on Dunlops, with the forks really long. If I were to show up to a brand new track, I'd probably put in my 4mm shim for the first session - so 296mm. But even that number may be useless to you if the rest of your setup is way different than mine.

Boman Forklift and MELK-MAN like this.
  3. Cbrkp

Cbrkp Well-Known Member

track is mostly 2nd & 3rd gear in turns (small track)
    chain 116 links
    15/47 gearing
    we’ll double check with our suspension tuner if the forks were lengthened, he did marked bottom out at 30mm above casting of fork leg refresh stock internals no carts.
    expert pace
    dunlop 55/200 tire…

in any event shock is in with 294mm eye to eye no shim, we will test on track and adjust from there.

thank you

4. ibidu1

ibidu1 Well-Known Member

Im at 296-297 on the rear shock, running 180 pir sc1, with the front forks similiar to yours. You got to just play around, and find your sweet spot.

5. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

FYI, I used to always say how much was showing on top of the upper triple and that isn't the best way. You should instead figure out the measurement from the lower triple to the middle of the axle. I think it was the top of the lower triple, but my memory is foggy on that. This way you eliminate worrying about who has extended forks and who doesn't, etc. So you can more easily compare between other riders or bikes with different front end setups.

6. prm

prm Well-Known Member

If anyone has, or is aware of, any baseline starting points with the Pirelli 190/60 I’m all ears. 116 chain; 15/45 gearing; mid to upper intermediate old guy. From what I have gathered I am going with the following to start unless I hear something new.

I’m currently at 293mm rear with no shim (Ohlins TTX GP); 523 front with Traxxion AK20 cartridges. That equates to the top of the tube flush with triple clamp. Maybe ride this weekend. Finally after putting this thing together. Don’t know if that helps OP.

7. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

i often ran 300-302 mm shock length, but our michelin 190/55 tire was shorter than the P and D rear tires... issue with this was due to low swingarm, i'd wear the top of my swingarm plastic chain guide right behind the countershaft sprocket. i was also running a short chain with smaller front and rear sprockets. should have tried going from 15/43 or so, to 16/46. this would have given bit more clearance for the chain.
    just some odd rambling.. as many said above, "it depends". never a bad idea to start with what others are finding works for your tire sizes.

Boman Forklift and Gino230 like this.
  8. Tyson10R

Tyson10R Well-Known Member

That's a good starting point. Doesn't hurt to have a couple different shims to easily adjust up from 293.

530mm minimum on the front end you can run it higher but it kind of depends on your pace.

9. natedogg624

natedogg624 Well-Known Member

So is shock length measured from the frame & swingarm mounting points then or shock eyelet to shock eyelet? In your case I imagine it’s frame to swingarm mount since the shims sit on top of the clevis?

10. Tyson10R

Tyson10R Well-Known Member

Eyelet centerpoints

11. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

All my notes are written "292+4" which is "eye-to-eye+shim". Most people run the stock clevis on the R6, so it's ok to communicate numbers this way. Just like we assume they are using the stock links, stock swingarm, etc.

I have heard that Graves made a clevis with a captive nut that was a diff thickness, so that would present issues with communication. Any rider using that clevis should adjust.