1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2017 Jeep GC misfire help needed

Discussion in 'General' started by code3ryder, Mar 4, 2020.

1. code3ryder

code3ryder Well-Known Member

Hi Guys,

Having some trouble with the Jeep, 2017 GC Limited 4wd 3.6l v-6 55kmiles

Randomly, at idle, it will misfire. Not much and rpm's aren't really affected. You can feel it enough to know that it is there. It takes a while for it to throw a P0302 code.

The same day or day before this trouble happened, we started to have trouble with the Stop/Start feature (stupid shit). Basically you get the error message that you need to service the feature. Most research seems to point to the auxillary battery being bad. I find it hard to believe that these problems aren't related.

Things to note. The rpms stay consistent 600ish (no surging and it only happens at stops (acceleration feels fine), battery voltage is pretty steady at 14... lowest it goes is 13.5+.

Problem is that google has been of zero help on this one. I can barely even find what I think is the proper cylinder locations. The only troubles that I can find are with '14's and earlier. In looking at this engine, it makes no sense to me where the other spark plugs are.

As far as I can tell, the spark plug in the red cirlce is the #2 cylinder. Initially, I had swapped the coil pack with the one behind it (in the photo). Was ok for a short drive then the trouble came back and finally got a 0302 code again. I replaced the spark plug in the red circle last night. After test drive, it was still having the same problem but didn't throw a code.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Couple things I noticed while looking in the engine.

Is it normal for this not to close all the way?

[​IMG]

Not sure what this part is and if the oilyness around it is normal.

[​IMG]

Trying to find a digital service manual has been tough. The only one I've been able to get is for the 14 and it's engine is different.

Thanks for any help y'all can provide!

2. nd4spd

nd4spd Well-Known Member

What’s the spark plug gap supposed to be? That plug looks burned up, to me.

3. code3ryder

.043 I checked the gap on the new plug and same issue.

4. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Plug change interval is 30k.

Start there.

5. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

30k? Looks like a platinum or maybe even iridium. Copper plugs yea 30k, platinum 60k double plat or iridium 100k no problem. Plug looks fine but doesnt mean its good per say. Have seen a fee broken valve springs on those engines, but not that young. Sounds like time for a tech to look at it before you screw it up and make more work for the next guy. You know the shop labor is more when the owner works on it or quotes google or a forum...

Yes throttle body will be open, controls the idle, they dont need iac motors anymore

code3ryder likes this.
  6. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Check Mitchell, but the googles said it was a 30k tune up interval.

And $30 in plugs is a fuckton cheaper than an hour of shop time to put in plugs that are double their replacement interval.

7. code3ryder

I totally agree. Trouble is making sure that I don't earn myself the idiot tax. Not the same as my 00 Tundra (which I've done, plugs, timing belt, water pump...). This stuff is so crammed in there. The three spark plug locations are easy as just taking the airbox off. I think the other 3 are under the upper manifold. Which, if true, lends to me being right with the first spark plug being cylinder 2. Which I've swapped coil packs and put in a new, gapped plug. The lack of availability of the service manual isn't helping. I'm pretty sure there's a vacuum leak somewhere. Going with what Spitz said, going to the shop tomorrow. I've done enough to hopefully knock a little labor time off the chasing of the gremlin.

8. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

I'll check if i remember, just doesn't look like a plug you'd need to replace at 30k, especially if the gap is what it started as. I've seen them fail in other ways, but yea def. cheaper than anything else. Pulling that upper plenum is quite easy btw. I think you do have the correct cylinder but again, I'm not going to Google for any meaningful information.

code3ryder likes this.