1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2017 GSXR1000R or S1000RR????

Discussion in 'General' started by FED34FIRE, May 8, 2017.

1. FED34FIRE

FED34FIRE Well-Known Member

Ready to buy a new sportbike. 2017 GSXR1000R or S1000RR. Any opinions. advice appreciated.

Thanks

2. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Go with whatever has carillo rods

3. StanTheMan

StanTheMan Well-Known Member

Suzuki without a seconds hesitation. Tons more aftermarket parts will be developed for the GSXR than the BMW. I predict that BMW will stop producing the S1000RR within the next 10 years. The S1000RRis a great bike, but no team has been able to get the bike to produce any serious-level results. Hell, even BMW pulled their factory team and started farming things out Tech-3 style. I'd get the gixxer and never look back.

4. It doesn't matter. Either one is way more capable than any riders on here. In either case, the bike won't be the limiting factor. So get whichever one you think looks the best, feels the best to you, and that you can get the best deal on.

The BMW makes more HP, but after about 185hp it pretty much becomes a moot point, because after that peak HP isn't the problem, putting it (and keeping it) to the ground is the problem.

They weigh about the same and have similar brakes and electronics.

The BMW will have more aftermarket parts available for it at the moment, but I'm sure the Gixxer will catch up soon.

I would give the nod to the Gixxer only because of those damn BMW headlights. But if it is a race bike, that is a moot point. I wouldn't mind having a BMW that is race prepped, I just wouldn't ride one on the street.

In other words, either one is capable of winning at our level and even at the Pro level, so just get whichever one you like better. It doesn't matter.

Ra.Ge. Raptor likes this.
  5. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

For what? Street or track? And where? I might go for the heated grips up north. :p

6. samizx7

samizx7 Well-Known Member

Just buy a 2003 Gsxr 1000. You save money and it looks the same as 2017.

The s1000rr is great bike so is the Gsxr 1000. But to say BMW will pull out of the market is a joke. It is the best selling super bike on the market.

I do not know what I would choice but Gsxr 1000 looks are disappointing. Either way I think you would happy with either.

7. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

And I was betting you were gonna tell him to get both....

8. The BMW has been VERY competitive in Superstock racing, even at the World level, where the bikes are very close to showroom trim (only bolt-on parts allowed).

I doubt he is worried about what will be made 10 years from now, and right now they are both good bikes, capable of setting lap records and winning National Championships at our level (and higher).

With any modern Liter bike (except maybe for the Honda), the rider is the limiting factor. Hell, I would say at our level, the same holds true for the Honda also.

9. Haha, that would be the easiest decision. :D

dtalbott likes this.
  10. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Is this for racing or street riding?

11. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Street racing?

12. gixxerboy55

gixxerboy55 Well-Known Member

Gixxer more reliable cheaper parts.

13. How can you say a Gixxer is more reliable when there are only a handful of people in the country that have even seen one, and nobody has put enough miles on one to ascertain any level of reliability?

What facts are you basing that comment on? Can you cite your source?

14. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

You have no idea ( or maybe you do) about how relevant that statement is in our brand new computer bike era of 200hp being "the thing".

If you go out and buy a bike that has 200hp after we do our best to give you every bit of that hp and your second step is complaining that the front end comes up or something something something that has to do with having 200hp, I'm going to remind you that 200hp is what you asked for.

15. Exactly.

That is where we struggled with the 1299S, (especially in the beginning, or the first time at each new track, because of how finicky it is). Power wasn't the issue at all, it was being able to use it.

We finally figured out that the bike doesn't transfer weight (front to rear) very well at all and requires a much softer rear setup (I'm 2 spring rates softer than I've ever ran on any other bike, of any size).

We finally got the rear to hook up (rather than just sitting at the top of the stroke and spinning), then the insane drive grip of the Pirellis combined with over 100ft/lbs of torque brought in all kinds of other problems, like still-knee-down wheelies coming off apex.

That is why we see Superstock bikes running up front with Superbikes. Damn near all of them can put 200hp to the rear wheel in Superstock trim. Which means they can all easily exceed the limits of traction. More HP just means more electronic intervention. So the issue isn't HP, it is being able to utilize it.

The only exception is longer straights when you are going well over 100mph with both wheels on the pavement. In those instances, the bikes with more HP can pull a little gap towards the end.

16. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

I need to hire you for speaking engagements.

Phl218, Robby-Bobby, masshole and 2 others like this.
  17. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Maybe this will help you?

18. gixxerboy55

gixxerboy55 Well-Known Member

Steeltoe likes this.
  19. Potts N Pans

Potts N Pans Well-Known Member

I need his bank accounts or cash filled mattress for my engagement...:D

20. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?