1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2016 Moto America Rules

Discussion in 'General' started by MAZZ77X, Sep 27, 2015.

1. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

Factory involvement. Lateley, whenever Yamaha dusts off the R6 in WSS, they win a title.

There is a Honda that's third in European Superstock 600 this year and has been battling for wins against Superglue's protege on a Kawi.

2. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

rumor was that when Chaz and Scassa dominated, their team literally pulled the bikes out of storage, change the suspension, and started winning.

there are also no full time top-level riders on the R6 this year. but a wildcard rider did put it on the box. so we know the bike is good.

3. Riders Discount

Riders Discount 866-931-6644 ext 817

The WSS and BSS guys are running better electronics like Motec, Magneti Marelli, etc while the MotoAmerica teams are using kit ecu's and harnesses. I would say this is one of the biggest differences between WSS/BSS and MotoAmerica's Supersport class.

4. DDK732

DDK732 Well-Known Member

The 2007 600 championship was a factory Kawi effort on Dunlops.

5. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

The new rules will make the factory teams faster than the rest. They have access to unlimited numbers of stock parts to mix and match to find the best motor. They can put 100 heads on the flow bench and pick the best one.

Still, I feel it's a step in the right direction. Cost control is paramount in almost every series nowadays.

The SuperSport and SuperStock classes are very close, both mostly R6, eventually they will be morphed into one class. Same with Superbike, eventually it will all be EVO style rules (super stock).

I would love to see more brands compete, but it's probably not going to happen without allowances, and it seems MA is against that in principle. The excuse being it didn't work for the DMG-AMA. But then again nothing worked for them....

Interestingly, We are trying to be closer to world super stock rules, but British Superbike, which follows it's own rule book, is the most successful of all the series. Go figure!

I don't envy the MA guys, they have a huge responsibility to "save" US roadracing, and they will be criticized no matter what they do. I will do my part to support the series, but right now none of my 3 bikes (all former AMA machines) are legal so I'm going to keep on club racing, and hoping for the best!

6. John29

John29 Road racing since 1973

And of course the Attack program in 2009 with Hacking and Roger Hayden was running the Dunlop spec tires...

7. John29

Ah, the fiction of massive production tolerances surfaces again!

Of course, the beauty of rules allowing open deck height (machining allowed) is that it eliminates a huge amount of tech BS and is self-policing, because if you take too much off the head or cylinders or cases, the valves hit the pistons or the pistons hit the head! Which is why I pushed hard for AMA Pro to make that rule change for what were then called Supersport classes.

But for a long time, all the nonsense about massive production tolerances has been BS to explain why some heads were shorter than others, etc. vs. the real reason, which was, they had been machined.

The idea that guys are currently sitting around sifting through big batches of parts and finding enough tolerance for it to make a difference is not true.

Actual production tolerances are close enough now with current models that it's no longer an issue--and hasn't been since the early 1990s.

Ask anybody who wants to argue the point, to produce the physical evidence.

Your results may vary.

8. TrackStar

TrackStar www.trackstar1.com

So as I understand it the 600 superstcock engine rules are going to limit it to adjustable cam timing and a thin head gasket correct? No other internal engine mods.

I like it.

9. John29

I don't think cam timing is going to be allowed in 2016, but I could be wrong. The DMG-style cut-and-time rules were grandfathered in for 2015, but FIM Superstock is a lot stocker than what MotoAmerica allowed in 2015. Superstock in MotoAmerica's first season was more like "Super-Superstock" compared to FIM Superstock.

10. ton

ton Arf!

there's gotta be a polished crank in this parts bin somewhere!

11. John29

Oh yeah, that came with the Bright Accessories option package, it's completely OEM and legit...

12. TrackStar

TrackStar www.trackstar1.com

I'm ok with that too.

I'm good with zero engine mods. Bolt-ons and flashed OEM ECU's with a tuner would be just fine by me for the class. Been racing that configuration for 2 years against built bikes. The longevity and reliability alone makes it a smart decision for the class (although that will make it even more of an R6 cup than ever).

13. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

Learning something new every day.

My main interest in this thread is searching for some nugget of information that I can leverage into an argument to let Ducatis in to the class.....

14. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

The displacement rules have been the same in Europe for a while now. It was Ducati's decision to not make a motorcycle eligible for the existing classes, not the other way around IMHO.

15. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

I would agree. It would be up to Ducati to build a 749cc or under competitive v-twin if they want to compete in WSS / 600 Superstock. Obviously they don't want to compete there so too bad for them.

I suppose an alternative would be to put the Duc 899, GSXR-750 and MV 800 into a new separate class that replaces 1000 Superstock or 600 Superstock. I am not saying this is a good idea, but it could be interesting. They would probably need at least one more reasonably priced competitive machine to make it work. Return of the R7 or ZX-7R anyone?

16. tittys04

tittys04 Well-Known Member

That's not true, timing is allowed.

17. banzai132

banzai132 Oh shit! not again!

SPL. I think you hit then nail on the head with the better economic times stuff. I've been out of work for five months and can't land a job with my good resume'.

18. triplestrong

triplestrong Well-Known Member

Shhhh... Let those guys spend time and pop motors ;)

19. banzai132

banzai132 Oh shit! not again!

The only thing that will save American racing is participation. A better economy where people that 9-5 can get credit crazy and go racing. It worked that way in the 90's and the earlier part of this century.

20. iomTT

iomTT Well-Known Member

And sadly, the whole world economy is starting to go down big time again