1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2016 Moto America Rules

Discussion in 'General' started by MAZZ77X, Sep 27, 2015.

1. MAZZ77X

MAZZ77X Well-Known Member

Do you think the 2016 Superstock 600 rules regarding engine mods will help even the playing field? Will it lessen the big HP bikes on the grid or will they still find a way?
    Will it help bridge the gap for other manufactures to the R6?
    Funny how you see Kawi and Honda at the front overseas and nothing but Yamaha here in the states. Be nice to see more variety.

2. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

Any other substantial changes besides no material off the head or cylinders?

3. peakpowersports

peakpowersports Well-Known Member

I don't think it's as much of a R6 being the best in stockish trim as it is the R6 has the most support. Honda is nonexistent in the states.

4. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

The Kawis and Hondas overseas (I assume you mean WSS) are more SBK spec than SS. With enough money and the right rules package, anything can be made competitive. The Honda 600RR, under current SSTK rules, or even current SS rules, isn't competitive. Joe Roberts comes to mind. Even with rule concessions for the Honda, it wasn't competitive.

5. sonicnofadz

sonicnofadz Well-Known Member

They just need to rename 600 ss to R6 CUP and get it over with lol:D

6. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Graves makes it a no-brainer to race an R6 here.

As mentioned before, a WSS bike is a spaceship compared to a MA SS bike. If they allowed that spec here, only a few teams could afford to put a winning bike on the grid no matter the brand.

7. kman0066

kman0066 Well-Known Member

It would be nice to see the other manufacturers involved, but with no TV Coverage, I doubt it happening. I don't think the rules are what is holding the other manufacturers from competing, more a lack of return on investment. Kawasaki sponsors stunt riders in the U.S. who are in the media and they sell very affordable race kit parts compared to the other guys. Honda offers up money for club racers (+ Groms :rock:). So they're both doing something over here in the U.S. with sportbikes...just not direct involvement like Yamaha and Suzuki.

I thought the current Moto America rules came from WSS though? It's definitely almost a complete copy of some European rules. The first draft even included prices in Euros rather than USD.

*EDIT, I guess maybe it's European Superstock 600 that the rules are from. But same results, everyone looks to be competitive. All but Suzuki in the top 5.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2015
  8. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Isn't that basically what the old Formula Xtreme class was after they switched from 1000cc's to 600cc's. If I remember correct their was a fairly decent turnout for the class. Although to be fair I guess it was better economical times back then, and more factory involvement.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

There was good turnout, but only because privateers typically got better results in FX than Supersport. There were very few bikes competing at the limit of the rules.

10. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Dude, you'd be surprised at the tune of some of the non factory bikes in FX. Some of the bike further back in the field were insane.

Why weren't they further up in the results? Cash, rider skills, shit luck and lack of time.

Yeah, there was also quite a few Supersport bikes out there as well.

11. peakpowersports

peakpowersports Well-Known Member

You guys seem to forget that Kawasaki won the SS championship in 2007 and took second, with Honda in third. That gen Honda is pretty much the same as it is now, same with the R6. In 08 Honda took second and third. The R6 is a great bike, no question.. but rules are not the only reason its winning in America.

12. metricdevilmoto

Erion and Attack were both very good programs. The Kawis were also on Pirellis.

13. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Yup......and *stirs up some bad memories :D* a Buell trounced them all back in 2009.

14. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

They do allow it in Supersport, cams, porting, electronics. Still stock crank, rods and pistons, etc. The Graves and Meen bikes are tricker now compared to DMG's rules and I think they will get closer to WSS specs as teams get up to speed and up their game to compete. This thread is about the changes to 600 Superstock for 2016 in order to align it with the FIM class in Europe.

15. metricdevilmoto

Right. Engine and electronics for 600 SSTK are pretty restricted under the new rules package.

16. sonicnofadz

sonicnofadz Well-Known Member

I feel dunlop + kawi chassis doesn't mix well. Dunlop + R6 chassis is a really good combination, and the formula to tune the R6 is very well documented (unlike for other manufacturers) so privateers can produce a competive R6 much cheaper and with less R&D.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2015
  17. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Interesting. Probably the way it should be.

In a perfect world there would be a class for the well funded teams to flex their muscle, and a class for privateers to show what they've got. Sounds like that's the plan, but I'm afraid we need a lot more support, teams, money, etc.

Hoping for continued improvement... and TV!!!

18. humblepie

humblepie Well-Known Member

The guys I know of going fast in sstk600 are already running 2016 spec engines

19. lonewrench

lonewrench Mr.Charles

but then who cares what you know :)" Secret Asian Man.......":Poke: See you in a few weeks Dave :bow:

20. TX Joose

TX Joose Well-Known Member

I've wondered why that was for a while now. I didn't think it would be the rules though. In WSS the R6 is nowhere near the front. Anybody know what the main difference between the SS here and the SS overseas?

Except one race there was a wild card on an R6 and I think he got 3rd sometime earlier this year. I think it was in the UK.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2015