1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2010 ninja 250 carb/slip on question

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Metalhead, Feb 10, 2017.

1. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

I got the bike a couple of months ago. It was bone stock. It needed a car cleaning. I did that. MAJOR pain in the ass. Got it running good though.
    So, I just put a Danmoto slip on on it. I've run the bike a few times on the local back roads. No lights, one, etc so I had to be cateful. Needless to say I couldn't fully wind it out. Ran OK.

I'm going to have to rejet?

Phl218 likes this.
  2. Last time I did a pipe on one of those I had to shim the needle up with 1 or 2 washers. No re-jet was needed.

3. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Yeah ive been reading that too. Those fricking carbs are brutal to remove and put back.
    Now, if the slip on were to effect performance, where would it be effected the most, top end speeds?

4. Needle starts effecting performance when it comes off the idle/pilot. So really anything between 1/4-3/4 throttle you'll have fueling issues, when you crack the throttle all the way you the needle is all the way up and you're just dumping fuel from the main jet.

5. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Ah. I always get that shit backwards. It starts/idles/runs great. I just haven't had a chance to wind it out through all the gears.

6. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

You need spell chek

Phl218 likes this.
  7. Phl218

Phl218 .

P our a can of bud light in the tank annd you be aaaight

Shenanigans likes this.
  8. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Shut up.

9. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

OK quick question....by opening up the exhaust with the slip on, am I going to lean the bike out in 6th gear at wide open throttle? I'm talking back straight at RA and such.

10. Shenanigans

It's a 250, don't worry about it much. Plus if you blow it up , I have mine I will sell you cheap as a,parts bike

11. Phl218

Phl218 .

12. No. Just fix the needle. It'll be good, we haven't had an issues doing it that way.

13. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

Ivan's jet kit all the way. My buddy ran the Ivan's kit and it was almost a cheater. In fact, he was accused of cheating, but nope.

14. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Guessing at jetting is always the best way. Dynos and gas analyzers are for cowards. :)

I have worked on a bunch of 250s. A couple of WERA titles. Sometimes the numbers say change the main jet. If you have doubts, take the thing to a good dyno guy. I'd offer to help but I sold both of my dynos. Yes, those carbs are a bitch, but if you remove the battery and heat up the boots with a heat gun it's a little easier.

Metalhead and Boman Forklift like this.
  15. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Upon further review....I rode around some yesterday and I was wrong about something. Even up at temp, it is kinda muddy at low/low mid throttle. From a dead stop you really have to get the rpms up to get it to pull cleanly. Also, alot of popping on decel.

Yep, I'm probably going to a dyno guy. I just don't feel like dealing with it. It took MONTHS for me to get the FZR carbs dialed in.

16. Phl218

Phl218 .

Sell it to me.

17. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

After I race it this year. Or you can buy it now and I still get to race it.:D

18. Shenanigans

I will sell you mine today. Message me

19. I agree but you know better than I that when a customer with a ninja 250 comes in their wallets probably have a condom from high school still in it. I try to take out the wideband to do a basic street pull to log the air/fuel and tell them the cost on top of doing either needle shims or jets and they won't/can't pay. Cheapest bunch of people next to SV650 racers.

That's why I just shim the damn thing, go a little old school and check plugs. Haven't had any issues doing it that way at this elevation.

pscook likes this.
  20. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

I had some customers that spent a lot on their 250s. Not bashing your methods, but one of the reasons I owned dynos was to not ride racebikes around on the street and check plugs. It often ended poorly.

Most racers are cheap. I got to the point where I stayed as busy as I needed to without the really cheap ones. The funny thing was, they went somewhere else for a while but many seemed to migrate back and get over their cheapness. They complained but they left the necessary deposit.