1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2007 ZX10R Excessive oil from crankcase breather

Discussion in 'Tech' started by rocketmanRay, May 20, 2016.

1. rocketmanRay

rocketmanRay Member

During my first track day with a 2007 ZX10r (upper novice group), I had a problem with too much oil coming from the crankcase breather and being sucked into the air box. This caused oil to get into the throttle bodies and burn in the engine, causing two red flags, as well as oil leaking out of the air box overflow all over the rear tire and on the rest of the motorcycle. I disconnected the crankcase breather in my garage, connected a 3 foot hose and ran the bike. I found there was no oil and abnormal pressures coming from the crankcase, which leaves me to believe there is no blow by. The next day my dad rode the bike in novice (first time on track) and did not have any problems even though the bike was running in the same RPM ranges. This leaves me to believe that the problem has something to do with increased lean angle. The motorcycle has 6000 miles on it, and a KR tuned exhaust with cat removed. I am wondering if the problem is coming from the air suction valve which creates a negative intake pressure during deceleration. I am thinking about putting an oil catch can up in the tail of the motorcycle, or rerouting the air suction valve. Let me know if you have any ideas to solve or any further questions about this problem. Thanks!

2. JBall

JBall REALLY senior member

I can't imagine lean angle is going to have any affect on oil getting into your air box. I bet you may have overfilled the sump during an oil change and eventually all the excess oil was blown out, so you did not see it when it was in your garage or when your dad rode it.