1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2006 R6 Fork Seal Questions...

Discussion in 'Tech' started by drizkol, Apr 15, 2009.

1. drizkol

drizkol Well-Known Member

I have 2 blown fork seals on my R6, after calling around getting prices, it appears as if the cheapest labor I can get is $100... I've done a fair share of research on the subject and came to the conclusion I'll be doing the fork seals myself. By no means am I a 'wrench head' - but I do have the capacity to do work on my bike and feel comfortable that it will be done right. I've watched a few videos (on youtube, etc) of fork seal replacements, found this one to be very close to what the 06 Service manual shows...

Youtube Video of Fork Seal Replacement

Yamaha 06 R6 Service Manual (page 171 - 181)

I guess my only question is - what tools will I need to have to complete the job? There are plenty of tools the service manual suggests, I just didn't know if I could use other common tools instead. I plan on buying a seal driver, are there any other special tools I should be getting as well? Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

:beer:
    Chris

2. Dr. GoFast

Dr. GoFast Well-Known Member

you can make a fork seal driver out of PVC, and if you're planning to do a complete rebuild with fluid replacement (highly recommended), then you will need the tool that compresses the spring.

3. drizkol

I plan on doing the fluid replacement, if I have more than 2 hands, do you think it's necessary to get the spring compression tool?

4. Dr. GoFast

^^ yes, definitely necessary. it is very hard to push that spring down. you'll see...

5. drizkol

I'm convinced... I now have this on the way! :up:

6. Dr. GoFast

^^ right on! nice choice.

7. drizkol

I noticed that kit doesn't come with my seal driver... I have a buddy with a seal driver, but do you know the PVC measurements? I know I can measure my fork tube to find out what will fit... but if anyone knows it off hand... even better :beer:

8. Dr. GoFast

www.racetech.com , do a spring rates search and then it should tell you the measurement on your bike. most six hundeez are 41mm's if i'm not mistaken.

9. drizkol

Thanks for all the info man... I checked on wikipedia and found that 05+ R6s are 41mm as you state. I'll post a reply when I get these things done... hopefully sometime this weekend