1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2005 GSXR 600 Secondary problem?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Hammer, Jul 5, 2007.

1. Hammer

Hammer Well-Known Member

Was at Grattan last week, bike ran fine until the 3rd day there. In the first session after lunch (CCW) the red light cam on in the upper right hand corner of the display and flashed "FI" where the engine temp. is.
    Just got a chance to look into it and did some reading before hand (just to get me more confused than I already was). Lifted the tank and removed the upper part of the air box, started the bike after the bike went through it's cycle of checks. I noticed the upper butterflies did not move even when warmed up. Does this sound like the Secondary butterfly servo problem? And if so, what is the fix short of a new TB. Can I just remove the butterflies? if so how can you get rid of the code and shut off the light without using electrical tape?

2. Hammer

Hammer Well-Known Member

Anybody?

3. davetlr

davetlr Well-Known Member

Well I would verify that is the malfunction. I believe the code is c28?? The resistance of the top two terminals on the STVA is .7ohm. If that checks out and you've already checked/cleaned the connection at the throttle body and check for possible dirt or debris at the butterflies, then you have a faulty ecm. Hope this helps.

4. Hammer

Hammer Well-Known Member

I got my manual and will check the codes in a bit.

Thanks for the reply.

5. G2G

G2G I feel the need

In your tail section the is a connector that has a rubber boot on it. Actually it is closer to your battery. if you toss a paperclip in the connecter and short it out it will give you the error code on the speedo of your FI error. Mind you the bike has to be giving you the code at the time you do this. Do a search on GSXR.com as mine gave me an error also and it was my powercommander that was the problem

6. G2G

G2G I feel the need

7. Hammer

Hammer Well-Known Member

Thanks

No PC3 yet, at least i know that is not the problem.

8. Hammer

Hammer Well-Known Member

C 28 STVA Secondary Throttle Valve Actuator

Done the rest of the checks and so far everything checks out ok. The actuator has activity and tries to move the butterflies but seems like a gear is sheared inside there, it just vibrates a little.

Tried to see if Ron Ayers had one.....they do not show the STVA on their Microfiche?

9. Hammer

Hammer Well-Known Member

Is there a way to eliminate the STVA?

10. G6D

G6D Well-Known Member

Had this problem on a buddies bike two days ago.

We unplugged the servo, and left the butterflies open, he had no problems for the rest of the day. I think his FI still showed, but the bike ran fine.

11. Hammer

Hammer Well-Known Member

Just got off the phone with the stealer and he does not show a part for the STVA either. He is going to call Suzuki to find out what they can do.

12. G6D

G6D Well-Known Member

Keep me updated, as we need to find a new one as well.

13. Hammer

Hammer Well-Known Member

Just done a bunch of checking about what I can do on this.......Either get a new Throttle body from Suzuki or get one that came off a wrecked bike, or just remove the Butterflies from the shaft and ignore the light.

14. weinerk

weinerk Well-Known Member

Since you're getting code C28, chances are the solder connections inside the actuator are faulty. This seems to be the problem for 95% of them failing. If you remove the actuator from the throttle bodies, drill out the rivits and open the case, you'll see the 4 traces that connect to the circuit board that are pinned to where the harness connects. Resolder these, put the case back together with some nice bolts, and bolt it back on to the throttle bodies. You'll have to looosen the actuator position sensor to get it aligned back up (be sure to align it to the factory white markings.) If you need more info, msg me.

15. RollieManollie

RollieManollie I Need to Get My Beak Wet

+1. Had to do this with mine. Suzuki says to never remove the STVA, but I bought a used throttle body assembly off ebay took the STVA and put it on mine. I then sold the throttle bodies without the STVA for $10.00 more than I bought it for on ebay.

16. Handicapped Racer

Handicapped Racer Well-Known Member

Funny i've seen this issue on a few gsxr 600 and 750 and have never been able to electricaly trace the problem, i've always had to replace the wiring harness. So if you indeed find the problem within the Harness post it up please. This happened to me at the gnf 1 year, the bike ran like a turd until i replaced the harness to get the servo's to work again.

17. davetlr

What's up T?? I have seen a few with that same problem. CDI box fixed both of mine. I had a 954 do the same to me too!!

18. Handicapped Racer

Aw nothing bout to go blow up something! I tried switching the ecm's, did not fix the problem, i hate swapping parts, that comes in when all else fails, i'd like to explain to a customer exactly what happened, or what's worse replace the ecm and it fail again, only to find out that the faulty Emc is a result of the problem, not the cause.

19. davetlr

Yeah, the couple I had I must have got lucky, the box fixed it. I picked myself up a new ride yesterday!!!!;) ;)

20. Handicapped Racer

What did you get? i had heard up at nelsons that you were fed up with the 04 im about there too with mine! about to settle down and start builing these 07's had them since feb and they've just been sitting.