1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2004 Rule's

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by WERA33, Aug 18, 2003.

1. WERA33

WERA33 Well-Known Member

im sending in my proposals to the VRC. i hope you guys will send in yours, especially some of the V5, V6 LWT ideas.

with the light turnout at most of the vintage races this year except for the combined opener at jennings im thinking there are to many races spread out and on the same weekend it may be affecting single race turnouts. i believe we had 24 race weekends,
    im not going to travel 8 1/2 hours to gratten this weekend when tally is less than four, but if there was no talladega this weekend
    i would go to gratten. would sixteen races be enough to spread around a few regional races and keep attendance up? i know its alot more fun when there are 10 plus in your class.

im also requesting V1 and V2 be allowed single disc with twin piston caliper. would any of you guys oppose this? some of those bikes came with them, and im not a fan of drums. cant seem to afford a td or fontana.
    finnally idex tom joyce out of V3 and V4!:D
    scott

2. Fireball

Fireball Well-Known Member

I like the idea of disc brakes for V1and V2. A lot of bikes that are eligible for those classes came with disc's. Sone otherwise eligible bikes had original mag style wheels, they to should be allowed.

You can find more wheels on eBay with discs than a drums, and at much better prices.

3. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

pre-1974 disc brakes

What V1 or V2 legal bikes came with disc brakes before 1974? Just curious . . .

I, for one, would LOVE to put a disc on my B-50, but BSA never sent one out the factory doors so equiped.

4. Fireball

At the first of the season I asked if I could run a Rokon 340 Automatic. It came with mag wheels and disc brakes. With a torque converter for a transmission you don't much in the way of engine breaking. I concluded it would need some pretty good drum brakes. I checked into it and decided I would have more in the brakes, wheels and tires than in the bike.
    I was told that there were other bikes that had discs but they could not run them either. I can't remember which models they were, but maybe someone else could refresh us.

5. WERA33

WERA33 Well-Known Member

one of the honda guys can correct me but i believe the honda cb360t had a single disc as well as the later cb350's also. the kawasaki s1's were available at some point after 72 with a disc. rd 250's fall in this catagory also.

6. triumphman

triumphman Well-Known Member

What a bunch of pussy's. Drum brakes are for men!!!!Scott do you want me to put a drum on the 750? talk to mark he runs a drum in v-4.give me ya alls adresses so I can send you some maxi pads.:) TIM

7. WERA33

WERA33 Well-Known Member

HA! this coming from a harley rider. maybe you can punch that trumpet out to 1000cc's so you can beat a little yam single.:Poke:

8. STAN LIPERT

STAN LIPERT Well-Known Member

The rules for V1 &V2 are good,there is no need for discs.A good drum can be far better than a poor disc.Honda CB77/CL450 & GT500 drums cost average of $20 at any of the salvage yards or swap meets I've been at.Vintage Brake linings will give you all the stopping power you need.Is there anyone winning V1 or V2 with a Fontana or TD brake? I don't think so,lets be realistic.Consider this,if everyone swapped over to disc brakes,who would win? the rider who rides the turns the fastest, not the rider who slows the quickest.

9. YAM#849

YAM#849 y'all watch this...

The rules of V2 are quite effective for keeping pesky fast TD3's and RD250's over in AHRMA, for the most part. Scott- was attracting more crossover entries part of your motivation in suggesting this change?

10. WERA33

WERA33 Well-Known Member

yeah it was. formula 250 bikes would be the targeted group.
    i know some of those guys said they would come and race but having to buy a drum make it a bit pricey, or a pain.

OK tim and stan, since the drum can hold its own and the better rider is going to win anyway lets allow the single disc. :)
    scott

11. YAM#849

YAM#849 y'all watch this...

A lot of them feel it would be a safety issue to race one week with a 12" disc, and show up the next with a T500 drum. If both are working properly, there is a hell of a difference in how soon you have to brake.

12. triumphman

Well lets see the rules do say I can but why bother , the H-D does just fine.I do believe my 500 did the deed on that yama single one this year so put that in your pie and smoke that.:Poke:

13. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

I welcome the V6 split but do question why HW & MW. HW & LW makes more since to me. The FZR is forced to complete with the big bikes as it is now while other LW bikes of that era were allowed into V5 (not a good thing IMO) The FZR400, EX500, Hawk all mixed it up in 1988 and so it should be again. IMO, spliting it MW, HW does nothing, a good running MW with a good rider will be all over the other V6 proper HW bikes but the same cannot be said for the EX, Hawk, FZR with lumped in with a V6 MW class.

Other reasons? I'm not picking on the EX's & Hawks in V5, its just that they has to race the 400 when they were new(and V5 should go back to its roots as a pre83 class) & since we are called vintage we should strive to copy what happen in a certain era with reguard to bike & engine style.

I am once again going to request the GS450 get indexed into F500 & or V3. I still maintain its a good fit with good running F-RD bike's making around 56hp & purpose built F500 bike making much more. My GS as it has appeared at Barber & Putnam is putting out about 50 to 52hp with a 499cc engine. I'm willing to limit that even more if needed to get the foot in the door, there are some AHRMA legal pistons floating around at 473cc or I could have JE make some a just over stock (448cc)

14. WERA33

WERA33 Well-Known Member

maybe you could do it again on the 500 at the gnf.:p

15. triumphman

Now we all know not to bring a knife to a gun fight.For the big one I'll be on the hog and you better be looking over your sholder for a orange and black flash coming by.:) Your lucky they give us such a long break between us ,thats all I can say.:D TIM

16. RZ Racer

RZ Racer It passed tech LAST time!

I too, favor a hw/lw split over a hw/mw split. When I first brought this up last year, I was intending to find a home for fzr and hawk racers that are sick of getting waxed by sv's. There are still plenty of these bikes out there and I think the class would be well attended.
    I see where you're coming from on the strict pre-83 v5 thing, but don't really have a problem w/ them the way it is now. If we kick all of the specific inclusions (gs/ex/fz/vfr....) out, what will be left? I've seen very few "real" v5 bikes at the races, this year, or ever. I'm sure there are a few that just don't bother because of the smaller modern bikes allowed in, but I fear we'll end up with a class that only has 4 or 5 bikes every weekend. (and half of those will be v4 bump ups!!) Obviously, the fz750 has to go, but what about the fz600? Rz's were made in '83 in Canada and Europe, do they stay, or is it off to v6lw?
    I personally don't have a problem with the gs in f-500. Definitely no Graver style monsters though. (gs500 cyls) Might have to re-visit the "excessive bracing" idea too. :D F-500 needs more competetive diesels in it. As it is, the class is dominated by rd's. Aside from the occasional sr or cb400, there aren't any sleds out there to give the ring-dings a run. I would nix v3 though. This has always been a strict class, w/ very few exceptions to the rules. We've always tried to keep it very AHRMA friendly

17. WERA854

WERA854 Well-Known Member

Hey, how'd this thread get over here?

Originally posted by triumphman
    Well lets see the rules do say I can but why bother , the H-D does just fine.I do believe my 500 did the deed on that yama single one this year so put that in your pie and smoke that.

Tim, you did great at TGPR on the 500, also beat Scoggin on Shockley's old Triumph. I agree with Scott and think that a racer of your caliber should win V4 on the 500 at the GNF ;)

O.K...see you guys over on the 'smack talk' thread.

18. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

Good brakes

I recall an old maxim about brakes in relation to automobiles, but it also applies here.

"Good brakes encourage bad driving."

Make of this what you will. It probably came from the same mindset as:

"A gentleman does not venture out after dark." -- Joseph Lucas (AKA The Prince of Darkness):D

19. Fireball

This sold on eBay today. A similar wheel sold for $485.00 not lomg ago. A good reason why. If your bike came with disc brakes you should be alloud to race it that way. It will still probably not be better than some drums. Not all bikes of that era were equal. Why try to make them somthing they were not?

8-25.03
    Heres a Complete with hardware 4 Leading Shoe Drum Brake for a 72 Suzuki Gt 750 Water Buffalo with NO RESERVE! This set up is getting Very Rare & Hard to Find! The tape you see in the pics is just to hold the mounting hardware on. All you need is the front brake lever with cables & your ready for vinting racing or to put back on an origional 72 Gt750 Water Buffalo. I

20. Demon DS7

Demon DS7 Well-Known Member

I just lost that bid by a penny oh well I don't fast enough to need good brakes anyway:D