1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2004 R6 info

Discussion in 'Tech' started by pucksdown, May 17, 2012.

1. pucksdown

pucksdown WERA #9

I bought an 04 R6 track bike to maintain my skills till I finish college next year and am gainfully employed again. Looking for more info on this particular type bike to someone that came off an 07 CBR1000. Both have had fork work, Penske shock, this one has .95 kg springs. I am 6'2" 205. The shock spring is also supposed to be for a 190 lb. rider. Yosh slip-on, braided lines, race pads, GSXR steering damper that has broken the bolt holding it so I plan to replace it with a top-mount unit. PCIII that seems to be functioning properly as best as I can check in the neighborhood. Rough Sharkskins, frame and swingarm sliders, Vortex rearsets, chain, and handlebars. I know Todd Clark rides these years, anyone else? Just want to learn as much as I can since my life may depend on this knowledge, if you know what I mean.

2. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

thera are many threads on then 2nd gen r6. it's a GREAT bike. In many ways a better choice than the 3rd gen bike. Honestly!
    keep the stock air filter, no improvemnt in hp with any aftermarket filter. CHeck to see if there are graves slide stops, those are nice to improve the off-throttle response. Don't bother with aftermarket velocity stacks. Stockers give best midrange (for overall track riding/racing).

3. Vitamin-E

Vitamin-E cornerin lo in the 3-1-fo

There is no "self-destruct", per se, on the 2nd Gen R6's.... Well there is, but its the same self-destruct button that's on every other bike. The THOTTLE!!! ;)

Solid motorcycle. You are going to love it.

Looks like its already set up, but should you have to buy rear suspension parts, frame, or some motor parts, make sure you get 03-04 R6 or 06-09R6s parts. The 05 has some red-headed step child stuff on it (some intake stuff, ecm, all rear linkage, frame, swingarm, radiator, exhaust). Most all of it will physically fit but its not exactly right.

4. pucksdown

pucksdown WERA #9

Thanks for the info. The previous owner said the brakes were not as good as he expected. Braided lines, unknown race pads with plenty left. Would it be worthwhile to change out the master cylinder or any other modifications? I came off radial brakes on my CBR.

5. MELK-MAN

well if not mistaken, yamaha went to a cast alum. brembo mc in 05+ (not a "real" billet brembo that is expensive). It may be nice to get that newer r6 unit on Ebay. Betting you could find that for $90 or so with the lever (i have found em before at that price for near new).
    The 03-04 rotors are smaller than 05 and up too, but they won't be the same calipers as you don't have the upside down forks and 05+ lower stanchon. I quit buying expensive rotors. the 05+ stockers are pretty good and like $100 new each? You can't run a larger rotor, as unlike the newer forks you can't just add a spacer on the bolt to move the caliper out. I wouldn't worry right now about that. Get the newer stock master cyl and some EBC extreme pro pads, and see how that goes.

6. ToddClark

ToddClark f'n know it all

Nice choice of bike. :up: :D

7. MELK-MAN

don't know if there is any truth to it, but wasn't Pascal Picotte quoted as saying the 04r6 was the best front end on a bike he ever rode?? ..or something like that.

8. ToddClark

ToddClark f'n know it all

Yep, and Fitz told me Hacker said the same thing. :up:

9. JohnS

JohnS Well-Known Member

Great bikes, I have an 03 and put 3K street miles on it, then 6K track miles and now it is back on the street.

For the track going down 1 tooth to a 15 on the front sprocket seemed to help me. Before the sprocket change I always seemed to be in the wrong gear.

Last edited: May 18, 2012
  10. jp636

jp636 Yellow Turd

I've got an '03 R6 with a 3rd generation R6 brake system on it. It's the cat's ass.. Love those brakes and you can find those parts on eBay / craigslist pretty cheap.

11. MELK-MAN

so did you convert to the bigger rotors somehow? or just the master cyl?

12. jp636

jp636 Yellow Turd

Just the M/C I believe. I got the bike with the set up already on there and in fact I still don't know a fuck ton about the bike, except when something breaks and I have to fix it.

As a matter of fact, I think you were one of the ones on here help me figure out what M/C I had when I was looking for a new lever.

While we're on the subject, aren't the rear rotors the same between the years?

13. MELK-MAN

rear rotors and rear wheels would be exactly same from 03 to current. but the 03-04 had 300mm rotors i think, and the 05+ had 310mm. front wheels same.
    Yea, the 05+ front master cyl is very nice. I have never wanted for anything better. I did just add GP Tech levers with remote adjustment cable to the stock mc. though. I really like my lever exactly where i want it..

14. pucksdown

pucksdown WERA #9

Next time I catch you at the track, I am going to see how you do things on this bike and probably copy you. Then if I can improve enough to keep you in site would be nice. I am going to try to make the June 10th Tally day with X-Act running Intermediate till I adjust this bike/adjust to this bike. Play time is over! Thank you sponsors: Depends, Castor Oil, Milk of Magnesia, AARP, The Clapper, Kelley's Titanium Hip Joints, The Alzheimer's Foundation.

15. pucksdown

pucksdown WERA #9

My next question after looking at the shift lever to switch to GP style shifting I found that the shift linkage runs through the frame. Is it possible to change over with this setup or will I have to buy new parts?? I don't like lifting up to shift coming out of a corner with my size 12 boots as my foot catches on the pavement.

16. YamRZ350

YamRZ350 Nicorette Dependent

I think Woodcraft still sells a "bent" shift rod that runs outside the frame.

17. Vitamin-E

Vitamin-E cornerin lo in the 3-1-fo

Yep.

That's the one to use. Turn the splined crank (on the engine) around so it curves out instead of in and flip it upside down and you're golden.

18. pucksdown

pucksdown WERA #9

Thanks and a reasonable price also.

19. MELK-MAN

you don't need a bent shift rod, flip the knuckle around and run the rod on the outside of your frame.. not through the hold that it goes through stock. Again, you flip the shift shaft kuckle around to get that clearance.
    During this down time on the bike, it would be a good time to yank the injectors out and be sure they-be-flowin properly! :) I know a guy..

20. pucksdown

pucksdown WERA #9

Thank you Melk-Man. I will try that first to save bucks as I am just an old college student trying to keep up my skills till I graduate with an A&CM degree. That pays well and then I will be looking you up for work on a newer race bike.:)