1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2002 GSXR 1000 Fuel Tank Info Needed

Discussion in 'General' started by MAZZ77X, Oct 18, 2015.

1. MAZZ77X

MAZZ77X Well-Known Member

GSXR guru's I need some help. We have an 02 1000 and the previous owner left the tank sealed for about 10 years. Needless to say it's toast, full rust, etc.

Not sure if the fuel pump is shot or not yet though. Completely disassembled the pump and cleaned it very well. Put it back together and plugged it in without being in a tank and turned on the key and nothing?

Question #1 - Does it need to be submerged in fuel to cycle?
    Question #2 - What years and models share the same tank as our 02 1000 so I can broaden my search for a replacement?

Thanks in advance,
    Anthony Mazziotto Jr.

2. triplestrong

triplestrong Well-Known Member

It doesn't need to be in fuel to work when powered, it's probably trashed if 12v were supplied correctly. As for compatibility, I can't remember off hand. I want to say that 01-02 were the same...? Maybe more.

3. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

Nice save @Silverstone!

4. Sundaydisco

Sundaydisco Crooks Racing

I had a 2002 GSXR 1000 and did everything you could do to it. I had a race tank that I forgot to drain once and it rusted out the inside. To clean I filled it with 5 gallons of vinaiger for 24 hours the did a backing soda rinse/water. It worked great, made it look almost new. The 01-02 gsxr 1000 01-03 600&750 all shared the same tank. I'm not 100% but I think the pumps were the same. Hope this helps.

5. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Pretty sure he is right:stupid:

6. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs