1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2001 V6 running with HW Twins??

Discussion in 'General' started by SteveBell, Dec 23, 2000.

1. SteveBell

SteveBell Well-Known Member

Sean,

I just noted this in the 2001 rulebook:

Quoted from the 2001 rulebook:

"Vintage races will be held on Saturdays at most WERA race weekends. Vintage 6 will run on Sunday with Heavyweight twins."

I know this has been a topic of discussion before. V6 has been run this past season with A Superstock at quite a few events. From my viewpoint this would be safer than running with the HW Twins classes again. Combining older F1 machines with both novice and expert classes with guys running Aprilia 250's, 125 GP bikes, etc. may not be the best idea. Can you consider running V6 with A superstock instead? I realize you have time issues to consider during a race weekend, but I'd really like to see everyone have a safe weekend. Considering the fact that you'd have quite a few GSX-R 1100's and FZR 1000's mixing it up with bikes like the Aprilia, 125 GP bikes, etc. sends shivers down my spine.

From what I've observed of the combined V6/A Superstock races at Nelson Ledges this past year, the A Superstock guys didn't catch the back of the pack of the V6 field at all. To me, this means that everyone had a lot of clear track to run in their 8 laps. In fact, quite a few of the V6 guys kept up and ran with the A Superstock guys. Safe fun racing.

Please consider changing this rule before the season starts.

Thanks!

Steve Bell

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

It'll be A Superstock - Rick & Lynne must not have changed it (they write the Vintage Chapter and then send it to me).

Sorry about the confusion...

3. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

Steve, You, on track, with anything, even if you were racing a PW-50 is enough to send shivers down anyone's spine... [​IMG]

[This message has been edited by lizard84 (edited 12-23-2000).]

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I was hoping he was asking for Wigdorski and not himself (I can dream can't I?)...

Oh well, at least if he runs an older 1100 I can make some money selling him parts [​IMG]

New frame, bodywork, tank, some minor bits and pieces...

5. SteveBell

SteveBell Well-Known Member

Great that it's going to be with A Superstock! Thanks!

I was asking for Wigdorski, but I do have that beat up '87 GSXR 750 in the garage along with a lot of healing time to go. I suppose I could build it into a racer. Send me an e-mail to [email protected] if you have a bunch of parts. Maybe I'll have to keep this 750. Hmmm....1100 frame, some bracing, '90 forks, a custom built Penske. Maybe I can keep Wigdorski in sight for a lap or two.....

6. Bryon K. Dumas

Bryon K. Dumas Well-Known Member

I agree with Steve, V6 mixed with Heavytwins really screws up the races for the true Heavytwin riders. Just as the V6 guys are afraid of running over the occasional SV 650 or Aprilia 250 down the straights we big twin riders are terrified at the low corner speeds the V6 bikes carry.
    It's just not a good match, a Duc 996, RC 51, TLR or Mille will run with a V6 down the straights all day long, the problem is the old Gixx 1100's and Yamaha 1000s braking and cornerning abilities really screw up the fast big twin times.
    This is not a slam on anyones bikes, I just agree with Steve that this is a dangerous grouping that will get someone seriously hurt, not to mention none of the parties want to be in the same race.
    The 1999 GNF is a PRIME example-the most dangerous race I've ever experience because of the disparte power of the machines in the race.

7. CharlieM#90

CharlieM#90 Well-Known Member

You got that right! Being on the front row (inside) on my 'priller with all those 916's/TLR's/GSXR1100's/etc., was NOT a good feeling. And then to have to start 3 times. I decided that if we got a 4th restart, I was just going to pull off and say screw it.

Charlie Mc (glad I don't run that 'priller no more!!!)