1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1st Time Racer @ Talladega

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by VintageWannabe, Aug 19, 2013.

1. PoundPuppyRacin

PoundPuppyRacin Pound Puppy Racing

You can bump up to 500GP. Alot of the guys that race 350GP race 500GP also. More track time and the second race is cheaper. If your valve tappet covers are not safety wired put a little dab of silicone on them. That should be OK with tech. And you do need a catch can. See you there and have fun. The Vintage guys are a great bunch.

2. Duck150

Duck150 Well-Known Member

One other thing to be concern about.....watch out for that Wayne Moore guy that rides honda 350...he will steal all your beer,so hide in a safe place................

3. VintageWannabe

VintageWannabe Diggin Deep

I thought handing out beer was how I made friends with you people? :beer:

4. bogganman

bogganman Well-Known Member

beer?

Now we're talkin! A new racin' friend. And Best friends are made with imports!(I know certain people will be requesting wine-but real men drink their dinner,Mark) and I'm 1st in line ,so I say how 'bout something German. A hefeweisen perhaps? Wheat beer always does the trick. And Now ya'll can line up behind me with your requests for pbr, bud, and the like....My God Man, what have you done. The grids will swell beyond belief.......:beer:

5. Fuzzy317

Fuzzy317 a Crash Truck near you

I believe its two race events (as in two weekends or a double header) not two races. :tut:

6. VintageWannabe

Catch can - check!

[​IMG]

Wire-tied Valve Adjustment Plugs - Check!

Hefeweisen? - sounds meaty.. Whatever gets people to the track, I guess!

7. Moore007

Moore007 Well-Known Member

I resemble that remark....................:beer:

Good luck on you first time out.

8. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

A common mod for venting is either nip off and drill your dipstick, and thread in a nipple, then run a hose to your catch can. This is a second complete vent system from your upper vent.

The second vent system will keep you from possibly blowing out a seal and throwing oil on the track.

Another option, but uses more hose, is to go from your electric starter block off.

Venting the bottom virtually eliminates oil leakage. It wont stop leakage from an idiot move while building, but helps alot.

And yes, watch out for Wayne Moore......Doug Bowie (duc150) will be the angellic figure, including halo. :rolleyes::Poke:

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
  9. mgmark

mgmark George Tirebiter for President

Wow, imagine if WERA gave away free beer with each Vintage entry? The grids would be huge! :beer:

Don't worry about GP500, you'll be racing the same guys from 350. A lot of us bump up and not many "real" 500 bikes enter, or at least they're so far ahead of me I never see them.
    Oh, and for me each race I'm in is truly an "event".

Mark

10. 70yamahaR5

70yamahaR5 Well-Known Member

Follow Mark around to learn the line, if you can keep up. Someone gave me that advice about Joe at Barber but he was always outta sight after the second turn.

Have fun and don't fall down in the school. After that you can fall down all you want. It's worked for me so far. Good luck!

11. mgmark

mgmark George Tirebiter for President

Don't do this unless you like breathing 2-stroke goodness exhaust, and want to be dead last off the starting line.
    Mark

12. JunkyardDog915

JunkyardDog915 Hodge Podge Motorcycles

I'll be there on my vintage for the first time. I pit with some really nice folks so if you wanna join us you're more than welcome. My number is 865-603-8351,chad

13. joec

joec brace yourself

wire in your clutch pushrod seal. drill the little fin near the top, and twist some wire around the pushrod, then to another fin below. in essence, holding the seal in, allowing the rod to still move. old ones like to pop. you know, if it hasnt been replaced.

also, if you drilled your tappet covers, please check to make sure you didnt drill holes all of the way through. they are hollow. if you can see the drill bit path on the interior, you just put a hole in it. they will puke oil every where if thats the case. ive seen this i cant tell you how many times. check it. if you drilled them in place, and didnt remove them to see, i can pretty much promise you did it.

14. VintageWannabe

I appreciate the info.. The clutch rod seal has been replaced recently, and has a good few hundred hard miles on her. Should be in good shape. I removed the tappet covers to drill them, and took the bike out for a final shakedown tonight. No leaks! I think I'm all set!

I welcome any more advice! Bound to be something I missed..

15. VintageWannabe

Chad - thanks. I'll call or text on my way down Friday. Are you showing up Friday night? Staying at the track?

16. CharlieY

I dont think you have seen run hard yet.

That seal comes out and you put down a bunch of oil.....yeah, that'll make a good impression.....I've seen it happen numerous times.

So let me see if I got this right.....You ask for input...you've got 2 guys here, myself and JoeC, that both mention the same seal and the problem....both have given you ways to abade the problem.....and you say, "ahhhh, its OK, I ran it on the street, forgetaboutit!"

Am I seeing that right?...not trying to be rough, just making sure I'm seeing this right.

IMO, wiring or retaining that seal is like a band aid. The seal is forced out by crankcase pressure.....vent the bottom, problem way reduced, then I "retain" it with silicone....or a retainer strap off that screw hole right there..

Good luck man, you are gonna have fun!:up:

17. VintageWannabe

Woah, hey, point taken.. :Poke: I don't have time to vent the crank, but I'll wire-tie it. I do know 'run hard', I'm no stranger to riding on the track, and I've given this bike a few good hard runs since I put it together. I agree though, better safe than sorry..

Thanks for keeping me honest. See ya Saturday!

18. CharlieY

10-4....see you there!

Wiring it is good, but there is a 6x1mm screw hole right there, it held a plastic cam for the nuetral light, I think....a small piece of alum strap from that hole just crossing the seal at any point will hold it in.....1 screw.:up:

Venting is the ultimate solution....and I think it helps the motor not run against its own pressure also.

I cant wait to see your face when you have that puppy at 11K and tip it in....:rock: ....you'll get used to the no brakes.:D

Good luck man.:up:

19. VintageWannabe

You might be looking at my back when I tip in, Charlie :Poke: You just like my face though, doncha? ;)

I'll see what I can do to strap that seal in well, and I'll come up with a ventilation solution after this weekend..

Don't really need brakes, do I? Thought those were for girls..

20. CharlieY

Ha!....yeah man.....just dont put your eye out, K?:D

Last edited: Aug 21, 2013