1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1st Time Racer @ Talladega

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by VintageWannabe, Aug 19, 2013.

1. VintageWannabe

VintageWannabe Diggin Deep

Hey all,

Looks like I'm finally going to make my racing debut at Talladega this coming weekend. I've done my homework, read the articles, and sponged up all the info I can through the internet. I'll be racing 350 GP on this ol' gal:

[​IMG]

I feel pretty comfortable that I have the bike ready. I've also been to a couple races with a buddy years ago, so I'm somewhat familiar with how things work, but it would be nice to have someone to hang out with, who will make sure I'm not missing out on anything... Anyone want to be a mentor for the weekend?

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but I can just show up Saturday morning and sign up for everything? No need to register in advance?

Thanks, and I look forward to seeing you all at the track!

2. Fuzzy317

Fuzzy317 a Crash Truck near you

have you already been through a race school?
    do you have a current race license from another group?

3. joec

joec brace yourself

belly pan

4. boogiesg

boogiesg Well-Known Member

Yep, you can do all the registration stuff at the track. You'll be in the riders school group most of the day but you'll get some track time and also some time to socialize with the other vintage guys. There will be a lot of Honda 350's at the track and we tend to group in the same general area of the paddock.

Like Joec said, you'll want to get a bellypan on there (safety wire and a cake pan) and it would be a good idea to remove that headlight and license plate bracket if you haven't already. Also, secure a plastic bottle to the frame and run a hose into it from the crankcase ventilation port on top of the motor.

See ya there.

5. VintageWannabe

I haven't been through a school, but there's one at the track this weekend, right?

I have a belly pan and a front number plate on in place of the headlight now. Old pic. Pretty confident the bike is ready.

6. VintageWannabe

Crankcase filter doesn't do the trick in WERA? If not, I can come up with a catch can before the weekend..

7. WERA33

WERA33 Well-Known Member

Sat will be a school day for you. You will not be racing vintage that day. If there was a Ed Bargy school on Fri you could take it and race on Sat.

Didn't know if you knew that.

8. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

I looked at the schedule for Sat and the mock race for riders school is first after lunch. If he passes class and mock race it looks like the 350GP race is third on the schedule. Wouldn't that work?

9. Duck150

Duck150 Well-Known Member

I know Jason got his license and race all on the same day this year, sometimes Wera lets vintage guys do this when the they take the school................

10. Duck150

Your correct......you should be good to go...........................

11. WERA33

WERA33 Well-Known Member

Well, in that case maybe so. You can call WERA and confirm.

12. VintageWannabe

From what I've read, I should be able to race yet Saturday. I'll be there either way..

Can anybody confirm on the crankcase filter vs. catch can? I guess I could go read.. :-/

13. mgmark

mgmark George Tirebiter for President

Cool, welcome to GP350! and your bump up class GP500. Do them both to get your two race requirement met. You'll have lots of folks to race with and Tally is a fun track.
    see ya there!
    Mark

14. VintageWannabe

Thanks Mark! Wasn't sure I should take on GP500, being my first weekend.. I have track experience, I'm comfortable on the bike, just never raced. If you say go for it, I'm in. Do you know the ruling on a crankcase filter or catch can?

15. Duck150

just run a tube from crank into a bottle...it's that easy and you will be good..............

16. VintageWannabe

I'm not one to half-ass.. I'll do it right. Gives me an excuse for some garage-time anyway..

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You'll be able to race Saturday.

18. boogiesg

I think you'll be able to race on Saturday, I also recall Jason racing the same day as the rider school. I think the rule everybody goes by for the vent tube is in the Superstock section of http://maps.wera.com/rulebook/?x=1098#ch9:
    Obviously we don't have airboxes, the Honda factory just routed that tube so that it would spray oil harmlessly onto the rear tire in the rare event that oil started coming out of there. That being said... everybody uses a catch can. Also, I'm pretty sure I've seen a certain vintage racer empty that catch-can back into his motor between races :Poke:

19. boogiesg

Oh yeah, you should definately do 350GP & 500GP if it's in your budget. If I had to choose one or the other I'd probably pick 500gp.

20. VintageWannabe

That shit's too expensive to pour down the drain :crackup:

Count me in for both. Thanks for the help!