1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1996 Honda RS250 Bodywork - Where to buy?

Discussion in '2-Stroke Machines' started by jcivince, Nov 12, 2012.

1. jcivince

jcivince Well-Known Member

Looking to buy some bodywork for my 1996 Honda RS250. After looking at different sites on the web, I'm thinking that I want Hot Bodies Upper & Lower and then the Pedrosa Tail Section from Air Tech.

Any issues with these choices?

I know bodywork choice is highly personal - kind of like what oil is "best" - but hoping to learn from others that have learned via experience.

Also wondering if it's best to buy direct or go through a vendor site. If vendor site, please let me know where to go to check it out.

Thanks in advance!!

2. hawkgt650

hawkgt650 Member

PM me if interested in used bodywork - I have an upper and a lower -- not sure of the brand or year. I'm in Las Vegas. It would need paint and some attention.

3. jcivince

Thanks hawkgt650 - PM sent.

4. jcivince

Still looking for bodywork.

I did the buy from hawkgt650 but forgot that the bike I bought had the over-radiator ram air conversion done to it and what I got from him has the over-tank ram air....so if anyone wants to buy a used over-tank ram air upper and lower (upper needs some fiberglass repair work) for cheap, I've got a set that I'll sell for really cheap.

Which leads me back to square one - still need bodywork for my RS250....

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!

5. loser

loser Well-Known Member

Check with Freddie at Yoyodyne. If he has it in stock that will be the fastest least expensive quality bodywork you can get. You will have to call since the website may not be up to date.

http://www.yoyodyneti.com/

Also Steve at Rising Sun should have some in stock.

http://www.rscycles.com/

Finally Airtech. Air tech will not have it on the shelf and will require a leadtime to make it. Some people complain about the finish on Airtech bodywork but I have never had an issue with it.

http://www.airtech-streamlining.com/

Shipping is gonna hurt due to the size of the box. Your best bet is to buy 2 sets because the pieces will nest inside each other and fit in the same size box as a single set. Thus cutting shipping in half.

6. jcivince

Thanks loser

Looking at RS Cycles, it doesn't look like they have any 250 bodywork any longer.

I'm thinking that I will contact Fred and see what he has in stock. I need to make sure what I'm buying doesn't have the over-tank ram air (most of his parts don't have pictures).

Airtech is my last choice - have also heard the same complaints about finish as well as ability to survive crashes.

7. loser

loser Well-Known Member

I would call Steve at Rising Sun if you haven't and not go by the websites. I would be very surprised if he didn't have bodywork in stock.

8. Riders Discount

Riders Discount 866-931-6644 ext 817

Sharkskinz is the best and they do still have molds for the 96.

9. dieterly

dieterly Well-Known Member

I just got some BW for my 125 from Sharkskinz and it is absolutely stunning. According to my painter it only took him 10 minutes to prep an upper and lower for paint. The also seemed to have dropped the weight with the latest bodywork, also reinforcements were added in the lower where the 125 often cracks during a crash.

10. pjkraemer

pjkraemer Member

I think I have what you're looking for.

It's RSW bodywork that is specifically designed for the over-the-rad modification.

It's from an 04 NXA bike, but I've seen people mount it on NX5 bikes.

PM me with your email address and I'll send you some pictures.

11. jcivince

Thanks pjkraemer - PM with email address sent!

12. pjkraemer

pjkraemer Member

Email and pics sent.

13. chas

chas Well-Known Member

The RSW Body work requires a good amount of investment. I swapped my 02 RS250 over to it and went with IanE's airbox. Make sure you get the as well as had two radiators modified to accept the intake tube (Carlos Neves modified both of them for me). After all was said and done, I probably dropped a good $2.5 K in parts (body work, airbox and modified rads).

The look was worth it, but it's not like it provided that much more then aesthetics.

For Body work, I would get SpeedFiber. More expensive then the AirTech, but much better quality.

14. jcivince

Thanks for the advice Charles!

I am going with the RSW bodywork from Paul.

Can you tell me what the radiator modifications were? Or better yet, send me some pictures? I'll shoot you a PM with my email address.

The bike previously had some special bodywork on it that incorporated the over radiator modification but now wondering if it will work and how much modification it will require. One of those things that I won't know until I get it and start the fitting process I guess.

Don't be surprised if I don't hit you up for more info later!!

15. chas

chas Well-Known Member

For modifying the radiator, you need to remove the top couple rows of fins, and rebuild the top portion of the frame (to make room for the intake tube).

That's really all that is needed. If you already have the modified (or A-Kit from HRC) radiator, then that's part of the hurdle. If you already have the airbox (they run just under 1000 British Pounds from IanE) then that's the other big hurdle (and out of pocket expense). The body work doesn't really matter as the air intake tube doesn't really "connect" to anything in the body work, It kind of just sits there under the bottom triple tree sucking in air between the front fender and cowling.

Attached is a pic of the intake installed on the bike I did this to. Also attaching a pic of a spare radiator I had modified and then a pic of the bike with the body work installed.

Attached Files:

16. jcivince

Thanks Charles! The radiator desciption & pic really helped me understand. I'll have to look at the radiator more closely tonight when I get home.

The bodywork I'm buying from Paul looks a little different than what you have pictured on your bike.

Attached Files:

17. chas

chas Well-Known Member

This is the body work I had...

http://www.airtech-streamlining.com/hondaz/RS2502004-05.htm

The over the rad airbox wont make a difference if you are running the pedrosa style body work or the newer stuff your pic shows. Both of these don't incorporate any intake that ties directly into the airbox intake (not like the stock 01/02 style body work that has the opening in the front and ties into the airbox on the side).