1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1986 Interceptor VF500 Worth??

Discussion in 'General' started by joe617, Nov 18, 2008.

1. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

Well. the year before I was on the way kewl LTD 750t. The limted twin version. The starter didn't work, so every morning before school I spent 20 mins trying to kick start it so I could leave. I just barely wieghed enough to turn it over.

2. drebv4

drebv4 Well-Known Member

I have a runner '85 plus a 'basket case' with a spare engine and many plastic bins of spares -- carb sets, airboxes, bits and pieces including new gaskets, seals, several fuel tanks, assorted multiples of bodywork, etc.

Make an offer ($$) and you'll have two beater/loaner trackday bikes AND a spare engine! Great winter project -- since everything's pretty much there... somewhere.

That was my plan, to say to a friend or newbie "let's go do a trackday instead of the Dragon."

Maybe somebody will have a new plan for these two cool old bikes.

BTW, the VF500's were featured in a spec class and every mercenary back in the day had one in the fleet to chase contingency money.

They were pretty reliable. It was the '83 750 that suffered from a fatal cam follower problem that involved a banjo bolt replacement and eventually a recall. I still own my original '83 (red) and with 156,000 miles on the clock, the engine's never been apart. I got a good one.

Dreb

3. TEAMLIKETYSPLIT

TEAMLIKETYSPLIT In Limbo

does that really say 156,000!!!??? :wow:

4. drebv4

drebv4 Well-Known Member

Yep, 156,000 miles; 49 states, Canada and Mexico.

'Old Red' has been a good friend for a long time. Quite a few of it's descendant relatives have passed through my hands since, but that one's still in the garage. I'll redo (restore, rebuild) it one day. That project will get done.

Dreb

5. bkeros

bkeros Well-Known Member

I sold my '86 VF500F exactly one year ago for $1700. 15,000 miles on the clock, in great shape except a nicely done repaint on the left side of the fairing upper. You'd have to look hard to see it. otherwise straight & clean. Slow, but lots and lots of fun to ride around on the street.

That being said, the new owner loves the bike, and insists on sending me ebay links for similar 500's that have sold for hundreds more.

Bottom line - if it's in great condition, and has seemingly never been down...and maybe even has some maintenance records....$1500 is not too much to pay. If you can get it for $1300, you'd be doing fine.

I sold my '85 VF500F (to buy an 86 VFR700 Pearl White - a beauty!) in 86 for $2000. With 18,000 miles, it's worth that today! Grrrrrrrr!! :mad:

It's a great bike....stay away from the 84's, as *some* spun rod bearings. That being said, if that '84 is still running today, then you got a good one.

6. GSmann

GSmann Well-Known Member

let me know when you want to get rid of that Honda passport/widow maker Dreb;)

7. drebv4

drebv4 Well-Known Member

It returned to its principal creator, more or less. Chris "Hippie" Birkle owns the mind behind that thing although the list of instigators and conspiritors is long. Most horrifying motorcycle I ever owned. He now has it.

For the record, it began life as a 1981 Honda NC50 Express. Allegedly, some Passport parts were involved.

Dreb

8. SVbadguy

SVbadguy I survived the Mt Course

I need a set of good forks (upper tubes at least) that aren't nicked or scarred. My 'good' ones got twisted up in lowside at VIR several years ago.

Mine used to run pretty well when I was living in Hawaii where I bought it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoYQs8OeC9g