1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1986 Interceptor VF500 Worth??

Discussion in 'General' started by joe617, Nov 18, 2008.

1. joe617

joe617 Well-Known Member

Give me a rough idea of what an '86 interceptor in decent shape with 38,000 regularly maintained miles is worth.

2. MudDawg

MudDawg Engine Killah

Kelly Blue Book.

But a hint...not much at all. Still..I always liked my 83 VFR500. Smooth riding bike!

3. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

Memories....first bike.

4. (diet)DrThunder

(diet)DrThunder Why so serious, son?

86 is the slowest one, but the most reliable...if it's all there and nice looking I'd think $1800-$2000? If it's not exceptional in the cosmetics dept, more like $1500 assuming it's ready-to-ride.

5. MudDawg

MudDawg Engine Killah

KBB Suggested RETAIL is $1310.

It's a 22 year old motorcycle. What was it...maybe 4K to begin with? Yeesh!

6. John29

John29 Road racing since 1973

Tree-fiddy.

7. BRKNtibia

BRKNtibia AMAfan Wannabe

'83 was the 750 version only. The VF500 came out in '84..never heard of a VFR500

8. daddio

daddio Well-Known Member

Sellin? $2000
    Buyin? $500

9. kosta

kosta Well-Known Member

Lot more than it is really worth if you find some dummy like me that always wanted one.

10. kneedragger29

kneedragger29 Well-Known Member

Max.
    All the 500's blew up & yes, even after the recall in which they rolled in new motors of the 84. I had an 84 that blew up & put an 86 motor in it & sold it. They were dead slow AND they broke. AND they had a 16"front & 18" rear.
    Like John says, tree fiddy.

11. kneedragger29

That's because there was no such thing. There was no 500 at all in 83.
    The 500 came out in 84.
    The VFR came out in 86 & it was either a 700 tarriff beater or a 750. It was also nothing like the turd that the VF500 was.
    Never was a VFR500.

12. kneedragger29

With 38K on the clock, that 22/23 year old bike would have to come out of a time capsule to be all there & clean. In perfect shape, I'd like to hear of anyone would pay more than a G for that bike without huffin glue. It doesn't help that the 86 is also widely accepted at the ugliest by far of all 3 years.

13. RxRC

RxRC Well-Known Member

I think I paid $2700 brand new in '87.

What a great bike. The 500 is widely regarded as the best of the VF line, and of course the '86 was the best looking.

Usual condition $1200 or so. Minty survivor, probably over 2.

14. Crazy444

Crazy444 DiveBomber

Ah, yes the old 500 Interceptor. My second bike....after my CB360 blow up on me. So, I count my Interceptor as my first bike that I loved. My dad and I built it up from a rolling frame and boxes of parts (guy we bought it from dropped a valve and had tore the bike down and gave up).

We blacked the bike out which got alot of attention back then. Great bike, at the time.

Here was mine, with Yosh pipes, just before I sold it, after having it for 5 years. :(

Attached Files:

15. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

My 86 blew up. I was going down the 210 freeway when I threw a rod. Very vivid memory of that one. Lucky I didn't bin it there in traffic.

16. SupermotoFan

SupermotoFan deep Clothing Company

Kinda OT, but what's the definition of "retail"?

If a private seller (me) is selling his bike to a private owner (Cliff), does that transaction deserve the retail price valuation as a starting point (or is retail irrelevant)?

17. Gigantic

Gigantic Maverick Moto Media

My 84 VF 500 blew up as well, also a victim of a thrown rod. It's not worth much...

18. GSmann

GSmann Well-Known Member

I remember there was a kid that rode a new one to high school back in 85. I thought that was the coolest thing ever.

19. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

There was a kid that had one at my school too. He throught he was kewl, untill I kicked his ass on my hopped up Hurricane 600

20. GSmann

GSmann Well-Known Member

I should have added that he was the "only" guy who rode to school, so a beat-up CB360 would have still made him the coolest.:D