1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

190 Rear on 600s

Discussion in 'General' started by Eck, Oct 18, 2017.

?

What's on the back of your 600?

1. 180 Rear

8 vote(s)
    29.6%
  2. 190 Rear

19 vote(s)
    70.4%
  1. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Just to be clear, you're both the tire vendor I need - and - the tire vendor I deserve.

Wanted to clear up any misconceptions or Batman references.

2. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Just passing some time while I'm eating lunch.

And, to be clear, it's not the lunch I wanted, but it's the lunch I deserve.

3. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Cold pizza? :D

VFR#52 likes this.
  4. metricdevilmoto

That would fall solidly into the "wanted" category. "Deserve" looks a lot more like grilled chicken and vegetables. :(

5. rcarson15

rcarson15 Well-Known Member

So say I've lightened the rear setup by 2ish pounds (gsxr wheel + lightened rotor).. how would you feel about putting on the bigger tire which somewhat offsets that lesser weight?

6. It goes in circles.

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Damn...who did you kill?

8. metricdevilmoto

Aside from one or two racers I can think off of the top of my head, in the regions I service, the 160 rear on the stock SV rim is dominant. Now that Pirelli has a new SBK SC1 option for the rear, I really don't see the need for a bigger tire. Previously, people were switching out to the bigger rim sizes to have more choices in regards to compounds and so on, but we've got SC1 and SC2 options in both SBK and DOT rubber.

I also know that the SV lap records that were set in recent years on Pirellis on the east coast were all done on the 160 rears. Zayat, Mazz and Ben Smith all used SC1 DOTs. The new SC1 SBK rear seems to have a bit more grip as per rider feedback, but that tire wasn't available until this season. We tested a lot of different rears with Mazz on the SV (3 years ago? 4 maybe?) and the OEM rim with the 160 on it was what he was fastest on.

A lot of the testing we did on the SVs with different racers showed that the stock forks with proper carts yielded the best handling motorcycle, but people still put GSXR front ends on them. In the end, I'm just telling you what I've seen and what I've learned over the years. But you're the one racing the motorcycle. If you want a big tire, use a big tire.

5axis, VFR#52, noles19 and 1 other person like this.
  9. metricdevilmoto

The fat version of me about 5 years ago. Haha. That mofo ate pizza for lunch a lot.

VFR#52 and Gorilla George like this.
  10. Ra.Ge. Raptor

Ra.Ge. Raptor wanna_be_fast

All I can say is that I've seen a Dunlop chart where the 190/55 track tires where listed as eligible for both 5.5"&6" rims but optimal for 5.5" rims.

Metricdevilmoto already addressed it in a previous post

11. G 97

G 97 Garth

But it's not about the first number. :D

VFR#52 likes this.
  12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Well hell, the fat me had pizza this morning. I like him tho so no danger of death just yet :D

13. :D

Truth be told, in addition to the bike working great with them, I've been reluctant to change because it makes it easier when I order a pallet of tires. I run the same tires on everything.

But when I get a new R6, we will start with the 180/60 from the getgo.

VFR#52, G 97 and metricdevilmoto like this.
  14. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

If I had a dollar for every track day guy on a SV that told me he needed a GSXR front end to be able to run a respectable Advanced group pace, well, I could buy a lot of GSXR front end swap parts. Or a lot of cold pizza.

5axis likes this.
  15. prospected

prospected Well-Known Member

Won't matter, the Carrillo rods storybook has invalidated the Michelin man for a while

Wheel Bearing and VFR#52 like this.
  16. TX Joose

TX Joose Well-Known Member

Does it make any difference if your ride height changes due to shock adjustments or if you just change your tire size?

Real question.

17. metricdevilmoto

Swingarm angle among other things. The profile of the tire also dictates how the motorcycle behaves at lean angle.

18. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

when you ride dirt bikes, for about 3-4 hours , almost every day.. ya sometimes miss these wonderful interactions :)

19. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

I just ride what the Gingerman sends me. No thought required. Done!

20. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Like Mike said above, going with a taller rear tire will have the back end of the bike sitting up higher, but you'll actually lessen the swingarm angle slightly in the process, which is the opposite of what happens when you just lengthen the shock to increase ride height.....you steepen the swingarm angle. So technically when you run a taller rear tire, you would want to open up the shock length and/or raise the front of the bike up if you need to keep a particular swingarm angle to maintain squat/anti-squat characteristics (assuming you've got your chassis squared away in other areas).