1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1888FASTLAP New Contingecy!!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by Tracee Polcin, Jan 22, 2001.

1. Tracee Polcin

Tracee Polcin Pic by IYF Photo

If you haven't heard Marietta Motorsports will be importing leathers under the "Kobe" name. The suits are to be made out of 1.6-1.8mm cowhide not the cheaper 1.3-1.5mm variety. I talked to Paul about the contingency program earlier today. Basically they will be paying out to 8th place in all classes. But your highest finish of the weekend will only count. This is to keep only the top riders from reaping all the benefits. The only requirement is that you are wearing a "Kobe" suit. Also the contingencies can be used for anything at 1888FASTLAP not just "Kobe" products. They have several demo models at the shop now but should have stock in 30-45 days. This sounds like a great program and if you need a new set of leathers why not "Kobe".

[This message has been edited by Tracee Polcin (edited 01-22-2001).]

2. Tracee Polcin

Yeah I know I misspelled contingency in the subject line. [​IMG]

3. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

EXCEPT ... Clubman, 125GP, Vintage, and all Solo 20's. :-(

Rick
    TZ125 = 125GP
    RD400 = Vintage
    RZ350 = Clubman & Vintage
    RZ500 = Vintage

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

That;s okay Rick - you don't really race anyway [​IMG]

Sorry - there was absolutely no way I could pass that one up!

The contingency that Paul is doing is by far one of the neatest because while you win for only one product you can use the certs to buy anything he sells, very, very cool.

5. Tracee Polcin

Paul said all classes, you might want to call and clarify this. I would think Solo's aren't in the mix becuase nobody pays there except WERA.

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Positively no 125 Sportsman - not that I blame him givien the grid sizes. I do believe everything else is good to go.

7. Tracee Polcin

Thanks for the info Mongo, don't want any untrue rumors spread around. [​IMG]

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

LOL - I just hate them thangs [​IMG]

I remembered this one because I just accidently deleted his email telling me no 125's...

9. YamahaRick

HEY! I resemble that remark! :-(

I saw the info on PW's web site, http://www.1888fastlap.com/kobe.htm#Kobe%20CarbonStar%20World%20Class%20Leathers and sent him an e mail on it. His reply was as I stated above. I wish it was not true.

Regardless, kudos to Paul Wright of Marietta Motorsports for a progressive approach on contingency moola.

[This message has been edited by YamahaRick (edited 01-22-2001).]

10. TSR

TSR Well-Known Member

Ok, I'll be the first to question this? It takes the most resources to run, but only the race org...correction... only WERA, pays well for it.

You can burn an entire set of tires on a Saturday between two practices and 20 laps, and get $0 in contingency for it.

SeaMongo, how is it, that this is how it is?

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Don't ask me - we just put on the races, the contingency sponsors put up the monies. Some have paid in solos (Pirelli/Metzeler being the most memorable).

12. Paul Wright

Paul Wright Well-Known Member

Glad to see people talking about Kobe. There are many factors that make a set of leathers good (or bad), - but that is a lot of typing. Let me go over just a few key points for those of you that are interested.

1. Leather quality - There are different grades of leather, and even different skins, like goatskin leathers. Kobe uses premium cowhide leather.

2. Leather thickness - Most suits use 1.2 to 1.3mm thick leather, better ones use 1.4 or 1.5mm, and a few use heavyweight "race grade" leather, in the range of 1.6-1.8mm thick. Vanson makes the thickest leathers known to man at 1.7-1.8mm. Kobe uses 1.6-1.7mm leather that has super abrasion resistance without feeling too bulky.

3. Construction - Most leathers are made like a quilt. All the small color graphic pieces are stitched together to build the suit. Look at your current suit and you will probably see what I mean. The graphics on the Kobe suit are intentionally large areas of color so you don't have a bunch of pieces sewn together like a quilt. More small pieces and more stitching = more chances for it to come apart in a crash. That's a bad thing!

Also, most leathers use single stitching with double stitching in most stress areas. Kobe suits are double and TRIPLE stitched in the impact and abrasion areas.

There is a lot more to tell, and everyone seems eager to learn about what makes a good set of leathers, so I guess I'll write the long version & post it (www.1888fastlap.com)in a few days so everyone can read more than they ever wanted to know about how leathers are made.

13. WERA74

WERA74 Poser and proud of it!

Yeah, yeah...when are they coming out? Will it be in time for Daytona?

14. Hammer-117

Hammer-117 Well-Known Member

Is this the only contingency Marmo pays?
    I've bought a lot of stuff from them and have never asked.

15. WERA74

WERA74 Poser and proud of it!

Paul "Marmo" is OK for a white guy. He'll usually cut you breaks and will go out on a limb for you. His prices are pretty reasonable. But he has to eat too. I think its cool that he is offering a contingency with these leathers. But I wouldn't ask for more than that.

16. Roach

Roach Yamaha Catapult Tester

I got Bridgestone Bucks this year for Solo 20s.

Go Bridgestone! [​IMG]

- Roach

17. Lee Acree

Lee Acree Well-Known Member

Hey Tsr, look at solo 20's as track time. It costs to go fast. Some people choose to put $ in their bikes. Some people choose to put $ in track time. Just look at it as an investment. Ya can't have the contigency everywhere, right? [​IMG]
    Laurie

18. YamahaRick

Laurie, you are the basis for that quote "Behind every great man is a woman."

Got any sisters that are single?

19. Paul Wright

Paul Wright Well-Known Member

FYI WERA 74 and anyone that is interested- the due date for the first shipment of Kobe is feb 20, and if they clear customs in 1 day, we will have them the day after, feb 22. We regularly import stuff from overseas, and usually customs takes only 1-2 days.

20. tbuilt

tbuilt Well-Known Member

Mr. Wright.... Do you think you will have plenty to choose from on display in Daytona?
    Also, How do the sizes run? (Some I've tried seem to be different sizes even though the numbers are the same)