1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

$17,000,000,000

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by dtalbott, Jul 28, 2006.

1. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

I think that has to do more about the size of their tool!:D

2. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Such as racing?

3. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

Yes, racing is a want.

Myself, I have thrown enough money into the Hawks (Deep Pit). I have made other sacrifices or done away with other vices but at no time at the expense of addressing my primary responsibility to me and others under my care.

4. Super Dave

Super Dave Exhausted and Abused

Exactly.

I can't say I starved. But I know that my father and his family were just without food often during the Depression. Being hungry for real was part of their life. That wasn't a rare ocurrance then.

And they would never go back to that again.

5. baileyrace

baileyrace Well-Known Member

Racing IS a need.

6. 2000yellow360

2000yellow360 Well-Known Member

The system is pretty well set up to make sure that the capital assets remain with the rich. Examples: Legacy. Interesting term. Allows guys like W to get into Yale, Harvard, because their Daddies went there. They get an extra 5, 10 points on the admissions process, which means that they get a preference.

It is very difficult to accumulate substantial wealth in the US because of the structure. By substantial wealth, I'm talking in excess of 50 M. Everything has to be just right, and for a lot of people it's just too difficult to make that happen. Once you've gotten that level of wealth, you set up a trust, provide for charitable deductions, makes sure that your family controls the trust, and volia, your future is your families forever.

I've seen far too many private jets at various airports carrying 1, 2 people on their merry way for non-business purposes, when they complain that we've provided medical care for the indigent.

Art

7. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

Not sure what military you were in but while I was in the military I only had housing for about 2 of my 9 years. Not that uncommon for married Navy personnel.

8. Super Dave

Super Dave Exhausted and Abused

And why is that wrong?

If they want to distribute it, ala Buffet, fine. If not, it's their money. Their family has their right to decide what to do if they have been given the rights to it.

Trusts are a good thing. My father's trust will ensure that my sister has care for her lifetime. I wouldn't expect the government to give her as good of care.