1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

09 ninja 250r bent subframe

Discussion in 'General' started by teambastrd07, Sep 25, 2011.

1. teambastrd07

teambastrd07 Well-Known Member

Has anyone bent the sub frame on thier 250r?Mine is slightly tweaked and Im trying to straiten it with a porta power and no heat.Any pointers? Also what kind of gauge setup do you guys run?thanks!

2. JeffroJ

JeffroJ 3 Ninjas and a Mexican

Can't help you with the frame, I'd probably just pick up one on eBay if I couldn't get it back to a rideable form. But on the gauges, I run a mychron 4 that I've had from kart racing, it gives me everything I need to know.

3. teambastrd07

I just looked up the mychron thats more than I paid for the whole bike! lol not really the route I wanted to go. The bike rides perfect the way it is, its just from the seat back thats twisted a little.Thanks for the info tho!

4. sowega

sowega #710

I've seen many subframes be persuaded back into shape with a long steel bar. It's all about leverage. I would be careful with an aluminum subframe, but I am pretty sure the 250's is steel.

5. teambastrd07

thanks and yes its steel.I have a 6 foot, 1 inch solid shaft I got out of a tufting machine its pretty rugged Im thinkin Im gonna try and put it in there cross ways and like you said "persuad" it back into the right form.It is a carbon steel frame so it should be a little more pliable.Im just going to try and keep from heating it.

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Get someone to stand on it and make it move to where you want it. When in doubt get a bigger hammer or pry bar :D

7. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

We straightened an old Hurricane frame with eyebolts in a door frame. Lay the bike over on the opposite side that you want the sub frame to go (lay the bike on the left if you want the sub to go to the right), chain it to the top of the door frame, and stand on the bike. Go back and forth until you get it right. We started out with jumping, then finished with gentle nudges with a foot. Trying to use a porta power only works if you have another immovable object with lots of fastening places. The bar is a good start, though, and should get you pretty close. Leverage is your friend.

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Did the same thing to a Hurricane - but in the parking lot of the Admiral Benbow at the GNF. Laid the bike on it's side (nothing new for that poor bike that weekend) and with some leverage and a fat kid (me) got it pretty damn straight. Then one of the other guys crashed it again - in the parking lot :crackup:

9. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

Those things are substantially robust for the (lack thereof) power. I am using one as a daily commuter right now. Former race bike, put in a high mileage street motor, and 40k and four years later still getting 54 MPG. However, they suck as race bikes. They deserved to be crashed as much as they were, I think it's like when your body rejects an ill-matched kidney. Some things just aren't meant to be. Kind of like the 250's, in a sense.

10. teambastrd07

Im not sure I follow you on the door frame...I understand the concept and I do think that will work, better than my idea.Im going to try it and Ill post how it turns out in the next few days.Thanks for the idea!

11. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

You want to hang the frame from the top of the door frame (or garage rafter, etc) and push the rest of the frame away from the chain. Use leverage to your advantage without dragging the bike around the garage or flipping it over.

12. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I've bent mine a few times and always had good luck with a 6' piece of pipe from HD. That metal is made from crap Thai beer cans, so it moves around easily.

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

They were great the first year or so they came out but after that yeah, not so much.

14. teambastrd07

:up: