1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'08 R6 w/ YEC ECU: Getting Fault Code History; No?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Gecko, Aug 20, 2017.

1. Gecko

Gecko Well-Known Member

When starting the bike, sounds like a coils is going bad. Bike sputters on start until it warms a bit (also throws fuel into the exhaust). When it happens, bike throws a CEL I'd like to check. Bike has 'real' YEC ECU. YEC manual suggest there's no fault code history mode (d:61). Looked anyway, and I get into dIAG mode, click through the codes for d:61 (fault code history) . . . and it jumps from like d:53 to d:70. Damn. Really? Is this correct? No way to check a CEL?

2. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Hold down the start button longer when starting. I'm not sure I would know what a coil going bad sounds like. If there's no code history recorded, then there's no fault.

3. Gecko

Gecko Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reply RM.

Its not the "Hold down the start button longer when starting" issue (although the bike does suffers from that from time to time as well).

The sound is that of a cylinder misfiring. This is NOT my video, but my race bike sounds exactly the same:

I'm only guessing its a bad coil. The problem is intermittent and mostly happens when the bike is started cold. Most of the time the misfiring works itself out within a minute of idle warm up time. There have been times, however, when it continues as I'm heading to grid up for a race.

The bike always throws a CEL when this happens. To check it, I put the bike in dIAG mode. Now, on the stock ecu, dIAG mode d:61 allows you to see the fault code history. If there is no fault code history on the stock ecu it shows "d:61-00"

On the YEC ecu, I haven't been able to find dIAG mode "d:61" in the menu. The info I have on the YEC box suggests that it doesn't allow keep fault code history so it can't be checked. I was just trying to confirm that about the YEC box, or whether I'm missing something and the fault code history is kept under a different dIAG mode in the YEC.

As for the misfire, I now believe its Cyl#3. I sprayed a little water on the headers on start up and on all but Cyl#3 the water evaporated quickly.

4. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

What do the plugs look like, and in particular cylinder #3? Even if they look okay, have you tried to replace them?

5. Gecko

Gecko Well-Known Member

Unsure, didn't get that far this weekend ... honey-do-list and all.... :(

6. Gecko

Gecko Well-Known Member

Little update.

Weekend before had some time to look at the bike. Again, bike sputtered on start until warmed a bit. Before it was Cyl#3. Sounded worse this time so checked again. Now not only Cyl#3, but Cyl#4 too. Tested all the coils, but they were in spec. So, just for giggles, I swapped the coils out for the B bike's (which work fine). Basically the same issue, bike sputtered on start until warmed a bit. Ran out of playtime and figured I'd just deal with it at the track the following weekend.

This past Friday at the track start the bike and head over to tech for the race weekend. Bike sputtered like crazy even after it was warmed. Both A and B bikes are comparably set up, so I start swapping parts between the bikes to try and isolate the issue. Long story short, unplugged and swapped the Bazzaz units and ... lo and behold, no more problems with Cyl#3 & Cyl#4.

Now, next (big) question is ... does Bazzaz stand behind (check/repair/replace) its unit?

7. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Usually. They provide better support than other companies with similar products.

8. Hordboy

Hordboy B Squad Leader

Check the pins in the connectors. Sometimes they back out partially and cause all sorts of mayhem.

9. Gecko

Gecko Well-Known Member

Have it here at work with me. Pins on the unit all look uniform and none are loose. Gonna give Bazzaz a shot at it and see what happens. Hopefully they decide what, if anything, they can do with it over the next three weeks and have it back in time for the final round.

10. Ryan Mansfield

Ryan Mansfield Durtball13

I had similar issue to yours with the Bazzaz Unit on my R6. Long story short was that the splice for the Bazzaz power to the harness was "loose" so the unit would shut off after any type of bike movement and the bike would go into limp mode. It doesn't sound like your situation entirely follows mine, but its worth a shot to check whether the Bazzaz is getting constant power.

11. EnvyCycles

EnvyCycles D.RoD

I had the same issue with bazzaz zfi/tc boxes twice. Bazzaz replaced the box both times.