1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

08' GSXR750 power loss

Discussion in 'Tech' started by pjdoran, Jul 8, 2014.

1. pjdoran

pjdoran Well-Known Member

History - So the bike was in stock good running order 2 years ago. Then customer installed Bazazz ZFi and ZAFM. Bike has never run to stock performance since install.

Here and now - We removed all Bazazz components in an attempt to return stock performance , O2 sensor is disconnected, exhaust power valve is not present and wire is pulled from the ECM connector (to defeat the FI light warning)
    Currently the bike has a wandering idle, and shows code C40.

Any thoughts on what might be ailing this thing? We are currently disconnected from the battery in an attempt to reset any codes. We have run it on the dyno and the motor sounds healthy, but is missing 40'ish hp.

Disclaimer, I am not a Suzuki shop as a rule, so I realize I may be missing something very intuitive to those more familiar with them. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

2. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Air/fuel ratio on dyno? Clutch switch still active? Secondary injectors not working? Primary and secondary wiring crossed?

Leak down results?

3. Hordboy

Hordboy B Squad Leader

A quick Google search reveals that a C40 code on that bike could be related to the clutch switch. Which, if it is like the 600, will lead to a huge power loss.

4. pjdoran

Thanks for the quick response! I am thinking the clutch safety switch is where we need to look, based on your post and some searching of previous threads.

As I understand, the switch needs to be in place and functional, you cannot bypass it as I have done on other race machines by shorting the wires together. I will post up once we confirm the switch functionality.

5. pjdoran

The switch itself does not appear to be the issue. We confirmed by swapping a known good new switch onto the machine. The same C40 code remains. Onto checking the wiring loom.

6. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Does it start with the clutch engaged? (Lever out)

7. DaveB

DaveB Just Riding Around

PJ, like Rick said does it start with the lever out? And even if you swapped switches does it have aftermarket levers on it? Some of the people who buy those ebay Chinese levers have had issues with them not actuating the switch properly.

C40 is actually an ISC (idle speed control) error but it can be caused by the clutch switch not working properly since the ECU thinks the bike should be on the neutral map.

8. jimfowler

jimfowler Well-Known Member

you replaced the switch but the sub-harness (l/h switch assy) could be the issue. i've seen the switch test fine but the sub-harness cause starting/running problems.

9. pjdoran

No, it won't start with the lever out (switch doing it's job). And it has a stock undamaged lever.

Thanks again for all the help guys. We will be diving into the sub harness and tracing it back looking for issues.

10. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

Disconnect the battery for a few minutes then refire it. I went through the wandering idle and it was the ISC valve issue but I never got a code. Idle was high and lumpy until the clutch was pulled in then it was at a normal idle. Mine was a 11 GSXR1000 but they're all the same in a nut shell. The battery disconnect reset mine to normal behavior. Have not had the issue return. Never found out what caused the ISC to freak out to begin with. At the time I had a ecu flash tune and after the issue came up and after I resolved it I had the ecu cleaned up back to stock with a PCV installed and a good dyno tune done. I have the CRG levers and the clutch switch was working as it should.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2014
  11. pjdoran

We have found a faulty ISC valve, it is not operating smoothly and won't "extend" with power to it and it seems to be bound up internally. We are researching how that valve is supposed to function when working correctly.

We stretched the plunger and reconnected to the bike and fired it up, no code. After shut down, on the next re-fire it threw the code again.

It seems this valve may be the culprit. Let me know if any of my conclusions are off the mark.

Thanks!!

12. DaveB

DaveB Just Riding Around

Sent you a link in PM where you can grab a PDF of the 4 pages of the manual relating to ISC testing

13. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

ISC vales were recalled on certain models. This could be one of them. Unfortunately mine was not in the recall.