1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

08 F450 4x4 King Ranch ~pros, cons?

Discussion in 'General' started by rwood64083, Sep 27, 2014.

1. rwood64083

rwood64083 Gifted as in 'DUHHHH'

Looking at a 2008 Ford F450 4x4 dually, 6.4, automatic, King Ranch.
    Has 105k miles. Seems to be in pretty good shape.
    Any known issues? Anything I should look for? Any reasons to run away from it (other than it being a Ford)?

Be gentle :D
    Thanks

2. rwood64083

It's been awhile since I've messed with diesel engines and Power Strokes are uncharted territory for me.

3. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Very nice truck, what are you pulling?
    A F450 is a heavier duty F350, but a F550 is a totally different animal, if you're pulling a huge load.

4. WERA 904

WERA 904 Well-Known Member

Check the radiator. They were prone to leaks along with the hoses. Had to replace mine at 105K. That has been the only thing mine has need so far.

5. KWyman133

KWyman133 Well-Known Member

My 08 F-350 6.4 is currently in the shop, EGR cooler went at 79k miles. Stranded me and my 48' gooseneck 3 hrs from home. Luckily I got the ford ESP and its all covered up to 125k.

6. rwood64083

Right now I'm not pulling anything I need a truck that size. Am in the market to purchase a one ton, 4dr, 4wd, diesel dually. Always in need of having a truck around. We got rid of our toy hauler a few months back and we recently traded off the Tundra. My (disturbed) way of thinking is... if I'm going to get a truck why not get what I want and something that'll pull a larger toy hauler later on.

A 450 is a bit of overkill. Even for a large toy hauler. But I can get it for a decent price and it has a lifetime powertrain warranty (I'm sure there are some limitations involved).

7. rwood64083

Thanks for the heads-up :up:

8. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Every single person I sold a new 6.4L to in 08 was pissed off about the fuel mileage. Other than that, great trucks.

9. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

Check it out with your ins. agent. Mine wouldn't touch anything over a 350. He said they consider a 450 to be commercial.

10. rwood64083

The engine has had the EGR delete kit installed as well as DPF delete kit.
    I'm doing a lot of reading up on this stuff so I'm in the learning process.

Thanks for the EGR cooler heads-up.

11. rwood64083

Thanks for the info.

Buddy of mine said the same thing. Understandable with 4.30 gear diffs.
    Guy that has the truck said with the EGR and DPF deletion kits installed and programming he was pulling a 3 car trailer (with minimum 2 cars) getting 13 to 14 on the interstate.

Good thing it won't be a daily driver.

12. rwood64083

I had someone tell me the same thing today.
    Then had someone else tell me that here in TN, as long as it wasn't used commercially it wouldn't matter. Will check with insurance company on Monday.
    Who knows? It may be stupid expensive to insure and I'll be back to looking for a Dodge dually :D

Thanks Travis :up:

13. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Prior to 2008, F450's and higher were fleet only, as in only available to commercial buyers. Anything 2008 and later should be able to be classified as non-commercial just fine. It would be in the same class as every other vehicle that could be used for both, ie: vans.

14. rwood64083

Good to know :up:
    We've had good luck with our insurance company. Might have something to do with the house, eleven vehicles, and who knows what else we have insured with them.

15. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

I've been looking at 08 to 12 Ford F250/F350 (SRW though) crew cab 4x4 too.

There are some crazy good deals on ebay with some Texas wholesalers. Rust free/winter free truck is what I'm looking for. Figured I'd fly down and drive back.

I'm looking at gas though. The 6.8 V10 up to 2010 or the 6.2 gasser 2011 and up.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2014
  16. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

double post

Last edited: Sep 28, 2014
  17. crazywolf450r

crazywolf450r Well-Known Member

Dont.

Buy the '11 or newer 6.7

18. crazywolf450r

crazywolf450r Well-Known Member

Www.emccartyford.com/#Vehicle31839182

19. rwood64083

Yep, you're right. After finding the 2008 KR F450 I looked at yesterday, I did some online shopping and found another F450 KR in TX with better color options I like, about 15k less miles and has a factory sunroof for about the same price.
    Only problem is... I don't think it has the EGR delete kit installed, the DPF delete kit installed, and the head bolts replaced (ARP studs). All this additional work/parts is pricey. Which is all stuff that's been done on the local truck I'm looking at. Going to call the TX dealership for info. Maybe find someone in that area and pay them to take a look at it for me.

20. rwood64083

Josh, are you taking about the gas engine trucks only?
    Or anything about the 6.4 diesels?