1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

07 GSXR 750 Rectifier replacement HELP!!!!

Discussion in 'Tech' started by tightR1, Jul 21, 2011.

1. tightR1

tightR1 Well-Known Member

Anyone replaced the stocker with a different one.Someone mentioned an R1 rectifier.Is it easy to wire or is it plug&play.
    The stocker has 7 wires,3 from the stator and 4 going to???
    Any help would help greatly.Thanks

2. bella749

bella749 Well-Known Member

What is the marking on the OEM regulator? Most are made by Shindengen... if it begins with "SH", it's a SCR regulator. It the number begins with "FH" it's a MOSFET regulator.

I presume you know the benefits of a MOSFET, and is why you want to go with the Yamaha regulator, most common is the FH012. That regulator has the female plug receptacle on the regulator body, with no wire leads. That means you need to get the correct plus to slice into your OEM harnes, or to make your own improves harness. Plus, now that everyone had caught on the FH012 as a good upgrade for many OEM regulators, the price got inflated on the used market. The nice thing is, you can gat a New FH012, plus the required plugs, pins, etc. for about $100 on amazon.com.

Your sytem is a 3-phase charging system... the three wires in are each one phase of the generator; simply connect each phase to the line in on the regulator... order is irrelvant. On the output side of the regulator, you simply have positve and ground; some regulatore use two leads each so they don't have to use heavy-guage wire to handle current load... two smaller wires instead of one big one.

You can use pretty much any 3-phase regulator/rectifier unit, so long as it's rated for the electrical load... FH012 is 50A rated and your OEM is probably 35A. It easiest to install a R/R that's the right size to fit where you are mounting it. I just replaced my OEM POS Ducati regulator (SCR-type) with a FH016 (MOSFET, 35A) from a late-model Ninja. I chose that unit because I could mount it in the stock position with no modifications.

The measurments for the FH016 can be found here: http://www.ducati.ms/forums/56-superbikes/115498-installing-mosfet-voltage-regulator-xx9.html

Last edited: Jul 21, 2011
  3. tightR1

So as long as it is at least 35amp,3phase,it will work?Great info!

4. RIB333

RIB333 Well-Known Member

ON the GSXR the stock wiring is a problem area. Overheats and contributes to poor performance as well as degradation of the stock connectors.
    Check this website out and use his wiring for the mosfet regulator upgrade. I did and it is a very clean install and works great.

Link: http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Elec__Products/Connectors/R_R_Connectors/r_r_connectors.html
    Great source for all types of connectors, tools, everything electrical on a motorcycle.

More info here: http://www.roadstercycle.com/

GSXR how to link: http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=283332&page=2

I would check these out first. I sort of followed along, works great.

5. bella749

FWIW, I wouldn't use the small ATO/ATC blade fuses as shown on the website. Instead use a larger MAXI fuse, which is a big version of the ATO. Even though both fuses may be rated for example, 30A, the MAXI will handle the current load where the ATO may pop prematurely

6. RichB

RichB Well-Known Member

Roadstercycle kit worked for me, if you can source the RR yourself it's cheaper, but the kit is still a lot less than oem. And comes with maxi fuse btw.

7. tightR1

Got it put back together,but now have a problem.I went with an R1 RR.The bike is hard to start.The initial hit is real draggy and pull the battery down quick.It will sometimes start after that.
    If I hook a charger to the battery,it starts,but not easily.Any advise?
    Could it have jumped time?

8. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

You can use an 08 unit as its slightly larger in size. I also relocated mine so it gets better airflow.

Got the idea from Eslick's old bike

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

9. bella749

Replace the battery? Could have been related to the original R/R failure.