1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

07 GSXR 600 inconsistent idle

Discussion in 'Tech' started by drnick_710, Dec 27, 2020.

1. drnick_710

drnick_710 Member

Hey all,

I recently finished a valve adjustment, put everything back together, but I'm noticing a couple issues with the throttle. When twisting the throttle (engine off), I can hear a clicking, and even feel it in the TPS, where I didn't hear anything before. It almost feels like something is binding, but the throttle pull itself feels fine.

When the engine is running, idle speed is inconsistent. Gently rolling off leads to a very high idle, where as snapping the throttle closed makes it idle normally. Throttle position at idle seems to be the culprit, as my Bazzaz software shows throttle position at 8-12%, unless I snap it shut, in which case it's 1-3%.

I have a hunch that the TPS sensor position got moved while the throttle bodies were pulled back and out of the way when the head was off the bike, but I'm wondering if anyone has any other suggestions or has experienced something similar? Could the TPS sensor be binding?

2. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

I would also look at the throttle cables. Clean, lube, then adjust. The fact there there is a difference between letting it snap shut and rolling off tells me something is sticking/dirty.

Might just be a coincidence that a problem reared its head at the same time as your service. Its happened to me too and you end up pouring over your work repeatedly looking for a mistake, when in turns out that some other problem just happened to show itself at the same time as you were working on something else.

Edit: also make sure nothing got kinked or re-routed to tight when you re-assembled everything.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2020
    drnick_710 likes this.
  3. drnick_710

drnick_710 Member

Appreciate the feedback. I'll definitely check and lube the cables, but I can't roll the throttle any further closed when it's idling high, so I'm don't think it's a cable issue.

4. drnick_710

drnick_710 Member

Update: removed the TPS, and noticed two things: no more click or apparent binding in the throttle bodies with the TPS off. And when I insert a screwdriver into the TPS and turn it by hand, it hangs up when returning to what would be the "closed" position. Sometimes about halfway, sometimes closer to the idle position. But it's looking like the TPS is the culprit.

Bob Miller likes this.
  5. Bob Miller

Bob Miller Well-Known Member

Look for intake leaks on your lines and boots. Tuned some carbs this summer and intake boot leak gave same symptom.