1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

06 GSXR 600 Wont Start - Fuel injections issue

Discussion in 'Tech' started by stephenwclark, Apr 21, 2010.

1. stephenwclark

stephenwclark Well-Known Member

I have been assembling a 06 GSXR 600 from parts this winter and am in the final stages but can't get the bike to start. Here are the symptoms.

The bike started on starting fluid so I know there is spark
    The fuel rail is getting fuel from the pump but the fuel injectors are not firing. I have the air box off and watch the injectors. They are not spraying. Everything seems to be connected up properly. Has anyone else had this problem. Is there something I am missing?

Any help would be really appreciated. I am planning on racing it this weekend.

2. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

it is possible for a single injector to fail, but not all of them at once.. the issue likely lies somewhere other than the injectors. Fuel pressure is a good place to start.

3. stephenwclark

I am pretty sure there is enough fuel pressure. The pump does turn on and run for a few seconds and I have checked that it is pumping fuel to the rail. When I remove the fuel line that connects the pump to the rail it sprays fuel. Fuel pressure must be building in that line. For some reason the injectors are not firing and I can't figure out why. Everything else seems to be working ok.

4. Tunersricebowl

Tunersricebowl Fog, onward through.

You need the shop manual opened to the "cranks but won't start" flow chart but a few quick checks would be to be sure the injectors are powered up with the key on...
    They work by staying hot all the time and the ECU grounds each one to make it pulse..
    Test the crank and cam sensor signals at the ECU to make sure said signals are getting there.
    Re check all connections everywhere and pay attention to power and grounds...
    If you don't have a 10Meg DVOM to do power/ground/resistance tests, don't start sticking a 10v test lamp in just any connector pin, you could damage the ECU.

5. PAzYearazzUP

PAzYearazzUP Banned

I would think at least one or two injectors would spray, but not all four not making a peep; sounds like a wire to all injectors. Like a wire harness to the injectors are not connected.

Pull a injector snap connector or back-probe a wire that will send current to the injector. Set the meter to 20v and see if she sends that output signal a few volts to the injector.
    1. Spark says the starter fluid can light a chamber.
    2. Compression says it has enough to start.
    3. Fuel is lacking if the gas is pressured to the rail.

Probably a connection at the throttle body harness. Try around there first.

6. stephenwclark

Thank you for your help TUNERSRICEBOWL I will go through these steps and try and figure it out this evening. Ill let you know what I figure out.

7. busa4

busa4 Well-Known Member

check your cam and crank sensors. since it starts and runs with fuel sprayed into it i would suggest the crank sensor may be the problem. also check your tip over sensor. if these parts are good then start looking at wiring or ecm problems. pull your fuel injector wires off and check to see if there is a 12v supply to each injector. if not check the fuse. if there is then the ecm is not firing them for reasons above, wiring issue(unlikely since all injectors dont work) or ecm failure.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2010
  8. stephenwclark

I just found that my tip-over sensor was mounted upside down. It is now mounted with the arrow pointed upward but the injectors still won't spray fuel.

9. stephenwclark

It turns out the problem was that the tip over sensor under the tail unit was mounted upside down. But when I corrected that problem the bike still wouldn't start. A friend recommended disconnecting the battery to clear the codes. After doing that and checking the voltage on several sensors the bike started. It sounded so nice to finally hear it run. The bike is running now but it still doesn't sound quite right, there is a big hesitation when revving it up. Still we are making huge progress and hopefully we will still be able to race the bike this weekend.

10. PAzYearazzUP

PAzYearazzUP Banned

Change spark plugs. Tipoverich is a bitch 20/20 hindsight is too scared to ride that bike if the tip was bolted upside..... Someone tech that bike!:crackup:

Last edited: Apr 21, 2010
  11. stephenwclark

So the GSXR woes continue. The bike is starts fine now and revs fine to about 4000rpm but after that it stutters really bad. I checked another ECU on the bike it does the same thing. So its not the ECU. Doe anyone have any other pointers?

12. Tunersricebowl

You DID replace the plugs, right?
    Fouled plugs is high on the list...then MAP sensor vac hose, fuel pressure AND volume.
    Isn't there a wire connector under the tank that can get swapped, low fuel warning and TPS, I forget now which two....

13. gixrdeb

gixrdeb Doesn't like to play nice

+1 on the plugs. Any FI codes?

14. stephenwclark

I didnt change the plugs. I will try that and try a different fuel pump. As for swapping the plugs under the tank I know which ones you mean and I am pretty certain those are correct.
    There is an FI light flashing on the dash but I think it is because the exhaust servo motor is removed. Someone told me that you can plug something into the harness that puts the bike into dealer mode so you get the codes on the dash. Is there a way to do this without a special Suzuki tool?

15. gixrdeb

Change the plugs first. I wouldn't worry about the fuel pump. If its moving fuel, it's fine. When fuel pumps take a dump, they quit all together and you won't have any fuel.

Yes you can get it into dealer mode, you just need a paperclip or insulated wire. Here's how you do it:

http://www.suzuki-forums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=10137&highlight=codes

16. stephenwclark

Thank you that link for the dealer mode trick is very helpful.

17. gixrdeb

No problem :beer:

18. busa4

busa4 Well-Known Member

are your secondary injectors spraying fuel?

19. stephenwclark

So I did put a jumper on the plug to get the bike into dealer mode and it shows a C14 code meaning a problem with the Throttle Position Sensor. I removed the TPS and tried a TPS from a spare set of throttlebodies and still get the C14 code. I even tried disconnecting the battery to clear the codes but still no luck.

20. Tunersricebowl

The fault code does not mean the TPS is bad, it means the ECU sees an out of range signal, an open or short on the TPS circut.
    Did you run the troubleshooting "tree" for that fault code?